advice for repair

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmandavey, Mar 21, 2004.

1. bassmandavey

Aug 29, 2001
    Yeah my carvin R600 amp, has an attitude problem and I cant pinpoint what is wrong. I figure, hey, I'm half way through my EE degree, I should be able to fix this. But sadly they don't teach engineers anything practical.

Anyway I could avoid sending it 1000 miles to Cali, would be great. So if anyone has any advice or suggestions it would be apprecitated.

Everything seems to work on the amp except there is no output signal to the speaker cables. Nothing appears to be fried, all connections look good. hmmmm.... :meh:
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Blown fuse?

Dirty jack for preamp out/power amp in?

Bad speaker cable?

Some randon knob turned down or switch pushed in on the Carvin?

Oh BTW, I'm a EE with 20+ years in the field and can tell you that a EE degree does not a service tech make. You might be able to tell someone why it works when it does, but a good service tech can tell you why it doesn't and knows how to fix it when it isn't.

Is the amp still under warranty?

Also, while I don't like to chase people away from TalkBass, the Carvin BBS seems to generate some quick Carvin help from both Carvin insiders and Carvin users.
  3. bassmandavey

Aug 29, 2001
    Cable is good, connections are clean, fuse checks out. My lab teacher says I should bring it into class it would a nice project to tinker with, but i dont want to tinker, i want to fix for my shows this weekend. Anyways, i might just change my degree to EE technology because they do more hands on. Also, I would go to the carvin board, but they are real biased. They think their stuff is God's gift to music... eh, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Perhaps the Carvin BBS system users are biased, but you're looking for service advice on a Carvin product. Since Carvin insiders read the site, it's probably the quickest way to get help.

BTW, EETs make slightly less money than EEs. Engineering starting salaries are great but salary compression hits fast and hard.

If you're interested in getting a P.E. license, some states don't view a EET degree as a real engineering degree. I'd say stay with EE and find a way to get your hands dirty!

Where are you located?
  5. I had the same problem with an Ampeg B2R. It turned out that there is a relay that switches the speaker outputs on after the turnon "thump" has made it's way through the system. I don't know if the Carvin has a relay but it's worth checking out. I'm sure you could get schematics from the Carvin bbs, if you want. Since you're an EE student you must have access to an oscilloscope, just hook the probe to the speaker output and follow the signal back from there. Just don't kill yourself on the power supply.

Hope you get it fixed in time. If not, go to a music store and borrow/rent a head for the weekend. It was a lot cheaper than I expected when I needed a light controller for a gig.
  6. bassmandavey

Aug 29, 2001
    The relays still make their distinctive 'click' when they switch on, I'm assuming they work. I got a schematic for the amp, maybe after spring break I'll poke it with some scope probes and see what I can make of it. I put this message up at the carvin board to see what they say. Thanks for the career advice everyone.
  7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    For what it's worth, I've had pretty good experiences with Carvin service. It would almost certainly be quicker to fix it that way, instead of doing it yourself or taking it into class.

On the other hand, if you really want to do it yourself, a scope is going to be your best friend. Have you checked the power supply voltages with a multimeter? That's where I'd start.