1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice for starting/finding a band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ScottFrettzBass, Dec 22, 2011.

1. I'm a 15 year old Bassist, and I've been having trouble starting a band. For about 2 years now I've been looking for people to play with, but as i live in a really small town with 3 good guitarists, one drummer, and besides me 1 bassist in the /entire/ town. counting off that the only drummer is in a band with 2 guitarists and that one other bassist, i'm kinda screwed. xD I've played some "Spur of the moment" Gigs with one of my friends before, but he even has his own band that he plays with. Any advice to get out there? because i've got nothing. *by the way, my last name is actually Bass, i find it very fitting as a bassist*

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Craigslist or better yet, find a musicians classified website for your area. Stretch yourself out a bit and go to some other towns nearby and see what's going on.

3. Might get better when you start college.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Since you have a few years until college, how about picking up a keyboard, recording your own tunes/covers with a drum machine?
    And doing your own vocals as well.

Something that's creative and challenging at the same time that will make you a better musician. :hyper:

5. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011
    +1 to all answers.
    Especially Stumbo's advice.
    You are still young, even if you assemble or join a band, it won't work for a long time because people you work with are still very immature. Not musically, but mentally. Better wait until later in high school or even college, and until then, just make yourself better and enjoy music. Try to jam as much as possible with those rare musicians in your town. If you find someone older who plays, ask them to jam, you will learn a lot.

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Is there a School of Rock nearby? See if your parents will sign you up. Great way to meet musicians and get stage experience. My 17 year old daughter loves it there, and has played 4 live shows in the last year.

7. Go to the shows of bands you like and talk to people.

8. All good advice here! Also, think outside your age- there might be some older dudes who need a bass player. Might be a different type of groove, but playing is learning. Good luck! :)

9. i do own a keyboard, and an acoustic. I've written a few songs, but i haven't recorded them. maybe if i do, it'll help.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Short of actually finding like-minded musicians to form an actual band- you could always invest a bit into some recording gear, and do a solo project until you're old enough to drive out of town to seek those musicians.

11. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    This is how my kids got started. There are community organizations out there that put kids in bands, get them places to play at local bars, street fairs etc. Check it out. Local music stores will probably know about them. It costs, and there are always the problems associated with jr. high wanna be rock stars, but its way better than sitting on the bench for 30 hrs. a week if you're on the basketball team.

Oh by the way, we live in a town with a population of 298. It's been a 130 mile commute for many years to keep the kids in a band.