1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice for Storage? De-Tune Strings?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fu22ba55, Apr 25, 2009.

1. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I have 4 basses, but only wind up playing 2 of them regularly.

What's the best advice for keeping the other 2 in storage?

Currently they're upright, in the case, with strings de-tuned about two whole steps.

Climate and humidity are not a problem.

Should I NOT be de-tuning them, or is that a good idea?

Should I NOT be storing them upright?

Should they be lying down in cases, ON STRINGS (to place pressure on neck) or on their back (which places the WRONG pressure on the neck)

Advice? Thoughts?

They two basses in storage are a '69 P-bass and '72 Jazz bass, so I'm concerned about the necks most of all.

Any bona-fide repair guys or gals out there who know the actual answer to this question?

2. I'm a bona-fide repair guy. I say leave them tuned all the way up, standing as you have them. Best to keep the wood/trussrod 'used to' the playing tension.
    Only exception would be graphite necks, especially older Modulus ones. They shouldn't, but sometimes do, take a bend all of a sudden.

thegroovemaster likes this.
  3. Yup, clean them up real good, and store them as if you were going to play them tomorrow.

thegroovemaster likes this.
  4. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Wow. Thanks. That seems counterintutive, but makes total sense.

Thanks for the info.