Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice for tabbing?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Microbass, Oct 13, 2002.

1. OK, I know the main deal about abbing is to keep listening.. but just a few things;

How will I know if the song is de-tuned or not?

Is anythign I should particurly look for?

Anything & everythign welcomed, cheers !:cool:

:D

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    If the tunes in day D and theres a very low note then some form of detuning 5 string is needed.

IF you are generally working in a genre that uses low notes then consider a solution for it.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I don't think I quite grasp the original question - Microbass, are you asking how you know if a given piece tab should be played on a detuned bass?

If so, you're at the mercy of whoever wrote the tab. Often you will find the required open strings noted at the start of each line:

G-...
    D-...
    A-...
    E-...

If you've got a five or six string bass and find a tab written out for, for example, a drop D tuning on a four string:

G-...
    D-...
    A-...
    D-...

You'll either have to detune your E or figure out the low notes and where to play them on the B string. Likewise, if you get tab written for a five string bass and you've only got a four string, you may be able to detune the E string and play it.

The bottom line is that it helps immensely to be able to name the notes being used (eg. G A Bb) rather than just thinking in terms of string/fret pairs (E, 3rd fret; E 5th fret; E, 6th fret).

Wulf

4. Wulf, thanks, but I already knew that :D

I was looking for advice on how to find out what notes are being played, and what tuning they maybe in, so that _I_ could TAB them myself :cool:

thx all the same :D

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Aha - so you're essential after advice on transcribing tunes then? It might be worth search the TB archives for 'transcribing' or 'transcription' and you might also get some useful answers from the General Instruction forum (leave out any mention of tab though - it's kind of a side issue to actually working out what's going on in a tune and the dreaded three letters, TAB, may upset some people ;) )

In a nutshell, you've got to listen very closely and once you can pretty much sing the bassline, try to figure it out on the instrument. Listen again to check how you've done.

There's not an easy answer to how to figure out which fret / string to use for a particular note, or what tuning the piece is in - unless you've working from some kind of video footage you just have to make an educated guess. For example, if a rock band does several songs in Eb they are probably detuning all the strings by half a step; if a jazz band plays in Eb, it's too keep the sax section happy and nothing to do with detuning.

Often you can make a reasonable guess about the best position on the neck to play a particular lick based on the timbre of the notes and the context you find them in - as a general rule, lower strings produce fatter sounding notes (compare 13th fret on the E string, 6th fret on the A string and 1st fret on the D string... all Eb, but each with a distinct sound).

Is that more the king of thing you're looking for, Microbass?

Wulf