Advice for young bassist

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperslinkY, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Hey,

First of I'd like to say hey to all as this is my 1st post in ........

The situation is: Im a 16 year old bassist from England currently playing in a band who play practice twice or more a week. And as for me I play my bass whenever i have the chance to when i get home from work etc.

I left school in June, got my results in August... The results were good enough to take me into a VERY good course in college, but I thought about it more and a course I seen came up at a place called Henery boot building apprentice. So I have been going there for the past 7 weeks on assessment seeing if I am able to go on apprenticeship.

Turns out when I go to the canteen which is most of the day cos they dont teach u **** there, all the so called "chavs" who work there, dont get me wrong I get along with them seem to be taking pills and smoking weed and basically hotboxing the canteen up all day. I used to smoke weed, but thought I would quit it for the good of my future, and these guys arent helping the situation at all.

SO! the situation is now that tommorrow evening I have got a interview with a company called "connexions" basically like a jobcentre but is aimed at teenagers aged 16-17 just leaving school. They have got a few college courses I can do which is ICT based like office courses etc.

But the realism of it all is there is a music college in a town next to mine who teach everything you need to know ranging from playing my bass guitar, and sound technology etc.

THATS where I want to be, I mentioned it to my mom once and she said that it will get me nowhere in life and that I should get a REAL course. At that moment I was quite shocked by what she said as she usually backs me up in whatever direction I choose to take in life.

The option is for me now to go to the careers advice tommorrow and say that I REALLY want music college and let my parents down and live my dream. Or get a normal persons life as an office worker daydreaming about being at music college and the possibilities.

Please help if have experienced this situation before or if you have some good advice I could really do with it now!

<3 Dan.
  2. Seigi

Jul 3, 2005
    Unfortunately, she's right. Probably for every 100 talented musicians, about 1 actually becomes successful. I would suggest getting a degree in something you're interested in first, earn yourself some money, then go back to college, only this time go to the music college. Afterwards, you can have a job and play with your band when you have free time. Play gigs on your days off, and if you becomes popular and maybe get signed, you could quit your day job and have a career in music.
  3. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    First of all, welcome.

As a parent, I'll pull the curtain back for you a little bit..... it is part of the job of parenting to try and guide your children down the path of the least misery. Your Mom is only trying to look out for you.

Many of the people we idolize in the music business went through the same thing with their parents. It's part of the territory.

I personally feel that the key to this whole thing is near the top of your post. You're 16 years old. At my age (41) the options have to be weighed very carefully. A error in judgment career-wise for a 40 year old husband and father affect many more people than just me.
    At 16 there is the chance to adjust if the initial move doesn't work out.

Slink, you're obviously a sharp kid. Smart people tend to be OK if they have any work ethic at all.

Earlier this year I admitted something to by wife that I had never even said aloud............. if I had it to do over again, I would be playing bass for a living. I'd be poor and happy.

Follow your passions.......... they are what separates us from the animals!!

Or I could be full of crap!!

I just re-read this post and now I'm nervous about a young man spinning off in the wrong direction because of a stupid post on a chat site!!
  4. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    If you want a good advice, FIRST become a rock star, then start pondering about dropping your dayjob.

Hmm, note that this doesn't mean that you should take some boring job that you can get easily, but rather find a "second hobby" for which someone might be silly enough to pay you some cash for, say, 2000 quids per month.
  5. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Go to an accredited college and get at least a bachelor's degree in something, anything. Doesn't matter if its modern dance, political science, engineering, or self directed study of basket weaving, get a degree. Universities in the U.S. often have the option of double majors and double minors: minor in music, if you must.

Even having a generic degree, there's more out there for a young educated person than just some "office job." My degree is in no way directly connected to my field, but i wouldn't have my job without it.

Lessons and self directed education aren't necessarily bad ways to go when learning to play, and you have your entire life to study music at a collegiate level. Secure your future first, grow into an educated, well-rounded, responsible adult, and THEN throw it away playing and studying music. Life experience and maturity will lend more to your art than schooling, in my opinion.

Good luck.