Advice from someone who might know better

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Groovecenter, Apr 23, 2003.

1. I do my own set ups. I have the neck on my fender Amer Jazz Stnd set with some relief, not super low but not high action and light gauge strings (40-95). There is no fret buzz on the E or G strings, but on the A and D there is slight buzz in the 5-12 area (very slight, I can live with it) but frets 15-18 are very buzzy, than fret 19 sounds ok again (slight buzz). The bass only has 20 frets by the way. The action like I said is higher than I'd like right now. Anything you can offer would be helpful, but it sorta sounds like a high fret or there abouts to me.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    straighten the neck, raise the srtings a bit at the bridge. Or it might be just a bit of a hump in the neck. Just take a look.
  3. If its buzzing you'd want more relief to give the string more area to move. Can u hear the buzzing through your amp? If not.... dont worry about it! hehehe

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not necessarily - I'm with the previous poster that raising the bridge saddles on a flatter neck might well help the problem - but without seeing the bass in question, it is difficult to tell...but if it needed more relief, then it would be affecting all the strings, not just two of them.
  5. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Sounds to me like your 19th fret is high. Take a short straight edge and hold it down on your frets on the neck between the the A and D strings and see if it "rocks" on the 19th fret. If it does then there ya go!:bassist:
  6. Thanks for the advice guys, Im not exactly sure what the problem is, but I want the action of the bass lower, so I think Im going to find someone who can do a fret job or whatever it needs and have them take a look. SHouldn't be too hard in NYC, but anyone know someone?
  7. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA

True, New York shouldn't be a hard place to find a reputable repair shop. Only thing I can add, to the info already provided, is ask about getting the frets 'dressed'... as opposed to a full blown 'fret job'.

Half-a dozen strokes with the stone might be enough to solve the problem...

michael s.
  8. Yeah, you'd think so. THe more arc there is in the bass's neck the more fret buzz you'll be recieving in the mid register and upper register zone of the bass...