1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice: Fury IV vs. SR200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DonovanJM, Apr 21, 2010.

1. DonovanJM

DonovanJM

Apr 21, 2010
    Washougal, Wa
    Hey,
    I need some advice. I am looking to get me a Bass to learn on and the local music pawn shop has a Peavey Fury IV and a Ibanez SR200. Which would serve me better as a beginner. Which would last longer? I don't want to outgrow the bass to quickly (not that I think that will happen) but I don't have a whole lot of money to spend. I like the the looks of the Peavey a little better but it's also about $40 more then the Ibanez. I am definitely leaning towards the Peavey but if the Ibanez is a better bass I will go that way.
    Sorry about the long windedness of the post.
    Donovan

2. DonovanJM

DonovanJM

Apr 21, 2010
    Washougal, Wa
    Wow this place is busy!! Less then one day and I'm at the bottom of page 2. I'm curious if I put this in the wrong forum? If so please send me in the right direction. This place seems way to busy for no one to have an opinion on this.
    Thank you,
    Donovan

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I'd take the Peavey Fury over the Ibanez. if it had been Ibanez SR300 instead, I'd say was toss up and decide based on neck feel preferance and sound preferance. Cause I think the Peavey is a better bass then the Ibanez SR200, with better stock pups and hardware.

4. DonovanJM

DonovanJM

Apr 21, 2010
    Washougal, Wa
    Thanks for the help. I'm definitely leaning towards the Peavey.

5. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Is the Fury active?

6. DonovanJM

DonovanJM

Apr 21, 2010
    Washougal, Wa

Yes it is. It looks like this one just red.
    [​IMG]

7. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Get it. That red is nice to, quilt top looking thing, you will gt way more versatility with that eq on there as well/

8. DonovanJM

DonovanJM

Apr 21, 2010
    Washougal, Wa
    I think I'm gonna go with the Peavey I really like the looks. I'm gonna go the the shop and play it a little more. Well if you can call what I do playing.

9. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    Even though I'm a DIE-HARD Ibanez fan... get the Peavey. IThe only difference between my GSR190 and my SR300 is passive vs. active and the hardware. A SR200 isn't even active... it just has slightly better hardware than the cheapo GSR190.

I've upgraded my GSR190 since then to a wood bridge, 3-band active pre-amp, and defretted. And I'm here to tell you, it still doesn't sound as good as my stock Ibanez BTB305, which has much better build quality (all BTB's are now made of mahogany, GSR and low end SR's are made of a cheap chinese pine called agathis).

10. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    +2 BTB,
    I play a 405, if I turn the bass knod 75-80% walls shake! Floors vibrate, and people get pissed off!

11. DonovanJM

DonovanJM

Apr 21, 2010
    Washougal, Wa
    I got the Peavey!!! Well actually my Wife got it for me for my Birthday tomorrow!! Pardon the poor cellphone pics and the bad background. I was too excited to set much of anything up. Now I just need to get the rest of the hardware!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Nice. Red is allways a good choice imo. LOl. Congrats. Have you checked every screw and nut for looseness? Good to allways do that after first getting new axe. Then adjust action to taste. Then adjust pups to taste if needed. Then put on strings of choice and retweak action if desired. Lol. Happy new bass day.

13. DonovanJM

DonovanJM

Apr 21, 2010
    Washougal, Wa
    No I haven't checked anything yet. My wife gave it to me about 20 minutes before I had to leave for work and I couldn't bring it with me. So I pretty much just played with it until I had to leave. I will do that tomorrow though. Thanks for the advice. I'm gong to have to search a bit and see if there is a good tutorial on Bass setup.
    Donovan