Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice: GBE 600 or Eden WT800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowEbandit, Sep 14, 2005.

1. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Hey, I'll be getting a new head soon, it will either be the GBE 600 or the Eden wt800.
    I'm leaning towards the GBE solely on reviews and cost and I'll be trying one out this weekend.
    Has/does anyone play a GBE through eden cabs? Tell me what it sounds like if you can.
    If anyone has done a/b comparison tell me the results too!
    Thank you.

2. The 800 is literally double the watts into both a 4 and 8ohm load (the 600 only reaches full power at 2ohms). Both great heads, but not really comparable... the 800 is massively loud bridged into an 8ohm or 4ohm load (assuming you are getting the new (B) model), and sounds amazing paired with an Eden cab.

3. I've played the GBE600 through the Eden 410xlt +115xlt. I got easily twice the lows out of the Genz Benz XB2 410. I think these brands would be better suited if you matched head w/ cab. The eden cab sounded good, but if you've got your heart set on the wt800, I'd suggest getting their brand cabs to match. Granted, the wattage seems vastly different, and I've never played a WT800, I do know that Genz Benz watts can be quite decieving. For outdoor gigs, I've never had to get my volume past halfway running at 4 ohms. It sound silly but this head sounds much more powerful than the numbers suggest.

4. KJung,
    I've also been looking into the new WT800B. I would want to run the head mono bridged into a 4 ohm cab. Do you know if the back panel is different than the older generation model? I looked at it on the website, and the back panel seemed confusing. The bridged Speakon jack said "8 ohm load only". :confused:

Do you own the new WT800 B?

Any help here would be great
    Thanks

5. I've owned a number of pieces of Eden gear, and have played out of many of the 800 heads as backline. However, I do not own one an 800(b). I recently played one down at LDS (two days ago!) through an Epifani310UL and it sounded great. However... I did not hook it up, so I'm not sure about the back panel. I do know from other posts, that the 800(b) is fine bridged into a 4ohm load. Chef has one... if he doesn't see this thread, PM him and he will give you the total scoop.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Early WT800B's were built on existing chassis-thus the mislabeled back panel, mine included.
    Eden can tell you by serial number if you're getting a real 800B, but the easy way to tell is if the cooling vent holes on top are elongated ovals, it's a B model. Round holes are earlier issue. They are making stickers for the early issue amps like mine. All this info is in the eden forum.

The 800B bridging ~1100 watts into a shcroeder 4 ohm cab is a thing of beauty;)

7. I new Chef would be lurking around this thread and could give the real scoop :)

8. Thanks for weighing in Chef. I have a Schroeder 1210 myself so I appreciate the input. The cab is rated at 850 watts at 4 ohms. Right now I have an SWR SM-500 which is fine, but it doesn't fill the headroom of the cab.

Boy, you'd think there would be a clear change in the look or markings of the head when they went from the old circuitry to the "B" model. :eyebrow:

9. The difference in volume comparing either the 800(b) or even the Thunderfunk to the SM-500 will be shocking to you. The Eden and TF watts seems very conservatively rated... just the opposite for the SWR. I had a 900 for a while... nice stuff, but not nearly as loud as you would think. Given the tone profile of the SM-500, I would not think that's the best match with the Schroeder. I think that your 'upgrade', no matter which head you decide on, is going to make you very, very happy :hyper:

10. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I have a new WT800B.

Its awesome...No contest.

11. Okay KJung....you got me gassin'!!! :eek:

GAS ALERT!! GAS ALERT!!

The Eden WT800 and the Thunderfunk are EXACTLY the 2 amps I'm considering. How perceptive of you! ;)

12. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Well I went with the GBE and I kind of wish I didn't. It sounded good at the store but not in the band... :crying:
    I'm looking at an Eden WT800 now and hopefully won't look back.

13. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    :hyper: This Helps me know that I'm in the right ballpark as well...I've played the Eden but I have'nt got to Play a TF 550 yet-can't find one nearby-I'm in southeast Iowa-is there one nearby?I'm seriously planning on the Schroeder 410 for my cabinet-what about you(though everyone keeps saying I probably won't need that much volume,two 1210s would be nice ,but then that really messes with the amp power and ohm thing,though it sure would be more portable)Good luck...Peace....DAcat :cool:

14. Can you elaborate on this a bit? I'm about to buy a used GBE600 because I'm tired of waiting for an ashdown abm500 evo II to come up for sale (there's one on ebay now but It's already up to 450 with 4 days left and I need to get something by the 21st for 2 gigs that weekend). What didn't you like about it in the band setting? Also, what speaker cabs are you using and what kind of music was it? Thanks

15. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Well I didn't like it personally but i'm VERY picky about tone. I played an ampeg SVT3 pro for awhile and like the live sound but not the recorded sound. I also didn't think it was very loud but it had massive bottom. Grit and growl for days. I was getting sick of the extreme nasality of the amp
    So I went with the GBE 600 and it sounded realy good in the store but when I pair it with my cab (ampeg PR410HLF) it doesn't sound very good to me. This is just my own experience.
    I play a warwick corvette and it seemed the GBE lacks bottom and is upper bass boomy too much. I complained to the production manager and he gave me some tips on how to straighten the tone problems out. I said it lacked clarity and was muddy so he said disable some features to get rid of the mud like the low frequency extension and turn down the low mids boost to get clarity. Well I have some clarity now but no bottom end. It's growly but it doesn't have the grit of the ampeg. I'ts not my kind of tone but others love it obviously. I was hoping it would have the dirt of the ampeg and that's where I got picky. It sounds more hi-fi than the ampeg which is OK. I have a GB6x10 cab that I just got and it definetly sounds better with that than the ampeg cab. More defined but still no dirt or grit. It'll growl pretty good if you have a growly bass.
    Like I said, it's not for me but for others they love it. I'm going for the eden which is dirty and growly and that's what I'm looking for. If you have any more questions about it, fell free to ask.....

16. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have an Eden 550. I thought the GB was more growly than my Eden. I was thinking this is a way to go instead of my Eden. Interesting how people hear things differently.