1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice getting a summer job...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xolin, Apr 9, 2004.

1. This may seem like me being lazy, but I've been struggling between studying and such for U and finding a job. I have applied through every level of gov't (Toronto, Ontario, Canada), went door to door.. I can find the basic part time jobs but without a car its tough to get the job I'm looking for ($10+/hr, 35-40 hrs/week). This is partially to fund my school (lost my scholarship :bawl:) and partially to get a half decent rig for hopefully a band (if I can find/put one together :mad: ).

Any suggestions, stories, anything...I'm just in a bad mood today, exam week approaching.... :bag:

Thanks,
    Colin

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Colin-
    Start a car detailing biz.... in your driveway. Make flyers and post em localy.... everyone wants a clean car for summer!

just a suggestion.... hope your mood picks up man... :bassist:

3. Well, there is always alot of money in construction if you feel you have the energy and strength to do it. Companies are usually looking for labourers.
    However look more to possibly 50 to 60 hours a week not including weekends. ;)

4. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    just don't tell anyone about all the Hollywood starlets in your basement.

5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    you and yours need to stop following me.

x- you could hook.... :oops:

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I admire anyone like you who is willing to bust their butt to earn some cash instead of living off of mommy and daddy......partially because I had to do that. I started out as a busboy in a high-class restaurant and bugged the manager to make me a decently-paid, basic-level, cook who worked on weekends when I didn't have football/soccer practice or games.

I don't know what the laws are in Canada, but you might check because US and Canadian laws are so similar in many respects...........in the US, a prospective employer cannot legally ask a prospective employee what their means of transportation is to the workplace.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Rick, I was unaware of that law. I've filled out many applications that ask the question, "If hired, do you have reliable transportation to work?".

I agree with the construction idea. I've been doing some painting before I go back to school next fall, and I'm making insane amounts of money for it. (more than what I made as an IT guy)

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    -as b'aces high said, there's always work to be found in construction. lotsa people know someone who has a construction business who's willing to take on someone new.

-a lot of people also have gardening businesses and are willing to pay $100 a day for grunt like work.

-camps take applications for counselors right around now. there are lots of music camps too.

-for a meager investment you can buy a carpet steam cleaner, print a couple of thousand flyers, stuff mailboxes and go clean peoples carpets - oh, but you don't have a car. scratch that one.

-waiting on tables is skill that every artist, actor and musician should learn. :D

-i thought this was a great idea that i never had the guts to start doing; buy a can of yellow paint and a brush and ring people's doorbells that have driveways. ask them if they want their curb painted or repainted for $25 or more bucks. i think that's something a lot of people would like to have done, but are too lazy to do it themselves.

-people don't like painting their fences either and you can pick up and easy $75 to $150 for a days work doing that. you can do it ringing doorbells or stuffing people's mailboxes.

-sell everything you own on ebay, and then find a friend with a car to take you garbage collecting. go to rich neighborhoods on garbage day and sell everything cool you find. you'd be amazed at the stuff people throw away.

-look through the local papers till something jumps out at you.

-go to barnes and noble and look through all the books they have on job searching. they've got some pretty cool stuff.

9. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    the Nerve kills man.... good call bro...

10. Be a Janitor (aka a master of the custodial arts) for a school. I get paid $12.00 dollars an hour and the work is pretty simple, just go into the school and clean. Its usually after all the kids are out, so you won't be made fun of ;)

11. Woah, thanks for the advice, guys. I will look into both the construction and the janitorial stuff at first , but I can't rule out the independant ventures :D

Thanks for the help. Oh, for the construction and school janitor stuff, I dont know anyone who has worked construction, so where would I go about doing these? I guess I'll check out the painting, too.

Thanks,
    Colin

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Liquid - That is a legally okay question to ask in the interview/on the application in the US, too.

But the purpose is to keep prospective employers from discriminating against people who use public transportation to get to/from work....(typically, the young, the lower class, the handicapped).
    They often favor hiring people with their own wheels.

However, as a guy who has done tons of interviews, I learned how to get around that.
    Fr'instance, I used to say something in the interview that tipped me off about how the person would get to/from work, like, "Do you think our starting wage would be sufficient to cover your transportation costs - like gas, parking, and auto insurance???"

The person's reaction was usually a dead giveaway.