Advice: Good Heavy Metal Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by G5L1C3, Mar 11, 2003.

1. G5L1C3

Mar 11, 2003
    Whats up all,

I'm still a beginner bassist(I did however play the Double bass for two years in my school orchestra & was first chair bass for almost the whole time.), but I am starting to save up for my next bass now, so that by the time I have enough money, I will be ready for a new bass. I'm looking for a good bass to play Heavy Metal. Any suggestion on what a good bass would be. I've heard that the Spector Rex signature model is good, or that the Ibanez SRX series are supposed to be good, but as I said I am a beginner and would appreciate advice from more experienced bassists.
  2. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    ibanez ae good for metal, im sure that spector is good too. Also check out Ernie Ball stingrays.
  3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    My Peavey Cirrus sounds fantastic in my metal band. It's all a matter of what sounds the best to you.
  4. I own an Ibanez SRX-505 and I love it. While I haven't been playing bass that long (2 years) it's one of the better ones I've played...and the price is reasonble. The B string is a bit loose...but once you change the strings, that isn't a problem anymore. With the right head and cab, it can cut through the mix with ease.
  5. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
  6. gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    Ditto on what Im a sock says. I play my Cirrus in my metal band. If ya want to hear some samples let me know and I'll give ya the website to hear it.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My originals band plays a wide range of material, including metal. My Peavey Cirrus sounds great and cuts through the distorted guitars like a hot knife through butter.

My Hamer CH12 also sounds great on a couple of our metal numbers. A 12 string bass with a little overdrive is great for heavy music.
  8. I use my Aria fretless 5 for my metal bands.....

Though, as far as I can see, Warwicks and Ibanez seem to be the most popular, though Stringrays are in there too.

*I'd* say just try whatever you can get your hands on, see what you like best - I think the standard "metal" sound is more to do with EQ (certainly all the "nu-metal" bands use a very scooped, "smiley face" EQ setting) than the bass itself. That said, active humbucking pickups will probably produce the huge, thick, clear kind of tone you want.

All in my experience, etc.
  9. Get the Rex 5 string. They are amazing basses, especially for the money. I prefer mine to any bass I've ever played, and while that may not be a huge list of basses, it includes much more expensive Fenders, Stingrays, and Peaveys. I also like how it captures a good metal look without looking some crazy that you would look stupid playing another type of music on it (picture a guy playing jazz on a BC Rich Beast). They sound great, are very well made, and are just overall great value.
  10. ___________________
    picture a guy playing jazz on a BC Rich Beast

Come on....why not? ;)
  11. G5L1C3

Mar 11, 2003

I plan to be going to guitar center and playing some basses. However, it will probably be a while before i get what ever bass im going to b/c i have like no money, and need to save some up.

So until then I'm gonna learn as much as I can with my Yamaha(wich is a really good beginner bass).
  12. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    I've done it. Got some big laughs, esp when headbanging during Teen Town. I was out of town and had none of my own basses with me, I borrowed it off of a friend.
  13. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Another vote for the Rex 5..I really like Spector 5'ers, that's why I own one.:D A lot of what sounds good in any application is very much taste though. I have this theory taht warwick is popular for metal cause the name sounds aggressive and metal-ish! lol..kidding, sort of..;)
  14. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    SMASH is so smart... Listen to him!

15. Fender P-Bass, Music Man Stingray or Warwick Thumb
  16. Or how about a heavy metal player playing one of those new Fender Paisley basses (esp. the pink one :rolleyes: )
  17. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I was watching a rerun of SNL a few weeks back and blackflag was playing and the bassist was playing on an MTD535...

I think you can use any bass for playing metal.. but I suggest not simply looking for a bass geared specifically towards meta... get something versitile and something that will last.. what is your price range???
  18. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Ibanez, Warwick, Spector, etc....all good suggestions.

But if you are talking about "heavy metal tone" then I suggest you start thinking more about your amp than your bass. My Ampeg/QSC/Avatar rig is VERY aggressive and I get perfect metal sound using my Carvin bass. It's hard to get this amp to sound mellow! And don't forget that good EQ settings are essential to cutting thru the mix.

For metal, you will need a bass that has great playability. To me, this means a thin neck, tight string spacing, and medium action. I would also get something with active electronics.

Good luck.
  19. Hmmm.. to me playability is different: I like wide necks (P-Bass and wider), and low action(wich is maybe an unusual combination but I like it)
  20. That is....a bit strange.

Why do you playing it like that?