Advice in dealing with this store

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Well, after a couple of days of looking around, it came down that there was only one store for about a 3 hour drive that deals with Aguilar. The story begins here, several weeks ago:

1. I call them to ask how much it is, the guy says he'll call me back the next day.
    2. I call him two days later, asking what's shaking and how much this thing does, in fact, cost. He says he doesn't know since the supplier just changed his prices or some **** like that, and he'll need a $100 deposit to order it. Note that I have to call back twice the same bloody NIGHT to get that info.
    3. I come in the following Monday, parents put down a deposit, he says it might cost approx $170 USD (reccomended retail price from the ****ing Aguilar site). November 17th. He says it should be in in two weeks at most.
    4. I call him the next week to ask what comes with it knob/pot/switch wise. He says he'll call me back the next day with the info.
    5. I call him back the following Monday. Note that this is the two-week mark from order day. I find out it comes with everything I need but the bypass switch. Fine. I ask him when it's coming in. He says "the guy" was supposed to e-mail him with the info, but hadn't. He's supposed to call me back the next day.
    6. I call him back the next day, 15 minutes before they close because I'm tired of waiting for these "nice gentlemen" to get off their cracks to call me. He says that because the preamp is such a physically small item, it was shipped via regular mail (rather than express, I assume) and should be here three weeks from the day it was ordered at the latest. Two days from now -- this coming Monday -- is said "latest point".

Note that at this point, I still do not know the exact price.

Should I do something besides hand them their money and take my preamp, whenever it may come in?
  2. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'd get the deposit back and order the pre-amp from an online store. There are several TBers who represent very reputable internet bass gear retailers. They would provide you with infinitely better customer service than you're current local guy.

3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I agree. In general, it is often a good idea (and a nice think to do) to buy locally. However, just because the guy is local and convenient doesn't mean he knows his stuff....nor does it mean that you'll get good service. While I'm not an Aguilar dealer "yet" ;) , I'm sure that there are at least one or two of the other guys here that would be able to hook you up. Sometimes it just pays to go with a specialty store that focuses on one thing and one thing only. Sorry you had such a negative experience, but there should be no issue with you returning whatever you have already and canceling the order. If you place your order with a mailorder or on-line bass specialty store, you'll probably have exactly what you need in a week and all at a highly competitive price. :D

Good luck,
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Several thoughts:

I'd never put a deposit on something I don't know the price for.

I'd never put a deposit on a COTS item just to get the dealer to order it.

I'd get the guy to agree to an ETA "right off the bat". If he can't do that, don't place the order.

If the guy doesn't have the common courtesy to call you back, it means he doesn't want your business and your should look elsewhere.

It's not like this guy's doing you a favor by ordering an Aguilar product. You can get these at literally hundreds of places, online and off. Govithoy, I'm not familiar enough with beautiful Canada to know where exactly you are, but you must really be in the boon docks to have to put up with treatment like that from a salesman.

My first impulse would be to call the guy up and cancel the order. Unfortunately it's probably too late at this point (he'll probably claim it was a special order). Well, a lesson learned for the next time. Hopefully the guy'll get you the item (eventually) and maybe it'll even work properly.

Make sure you get the warranty info from him. I don't suppose you asked whether he can do the warranty work himself or if you have to send it back to the factory? Does he have to do any installation or prep work on the item? In any event, I'd try my best to check it out and make sure it works before giving him the rest of the loot.
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Well, the guy called an hour or two ago and apparently the preamp is in, so I'll grab it tomorrow night.