1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice in pickup placement

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bajerovaquero, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Im building this bass:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/second-build-twins-build-thread-almost-755450/

I just finished the routing templates...
    So now Im facing the BIG decision of how to place the pickups.

This bass is an order from a good friend of mine, he asked me about a bit shorter scale bass.
    The scale is 830mm or 32,5 inches.
    He loves the PJ bass sound and also the MM.
    So I decided to order some stuff to JWorrell, I asked him for an Jazz neck pickup overwounded to 11k, and a balanced MM for bridge.

In the picture Pups are placed in Jazz bass position with scale correction, the center of the MM is in the same place is suposed to be the center of a 60 Jazz.

So I´m a bit afraid of going too dark, Id like to get kind of big thick rock vibe, and Im sure Ill get it from this pickups.
    Wiring will be V V T I also considering to use a series- parallel switch in the MM pickup for tonal variety.

Any advice?
    Any words of wisdom?

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Very cool bass. The bridge coil of the typical MM position is in roughly the same position as the early Jazz bridge pickup. If you install a coil split on the MM, you could emulate both traditional MM and Jazz voicings.

Edit: I think. I could be wrong. Better double-check...

3. Cool thanks for the feedback

I´m thinkin about moving bridge pup closer to the sweet spot (whatever it means) to retain more of the MM sound.
    So my real question (sorry) is should I also move the neck pup closer to the sweet spot to get better balance?