1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice: Knilling vs. Strunal (Hybrids)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Rob Hunter, Feb 11, 2003.

1. I'm finally getting close to getting a new bass. I've decided I want a hybrid because I often play outdoors (and fully carved basses are a tad pricey for my budget).

I was going to get a Strunal hybrid (Czech made, carved top, ebony fittings) but I've just discovered Knilling basses, which has the same features.

Any thoughts on the differences? Any views on either bass?

Thanks!
    - Rob

2. I can't say much about Knilling basses because I've never even heard of them. I own a Strunal hybrid and I think it's a damn good bass. The sound has really opened up since I got it and it's well made. My only gripe is the finish, but hey for $1500.00 what can you expect.
    Mike

3. Link

Link

Jul 6, 2002
    Latrobe, PA
    Agreed... ofcourse in the right light you can blind anyone who opposes you...
    -don't know about too many other basses, but I myself own a strunal hybrid and have no complaints... ofcourse anything is better than the "never-been-set-up" roth's at school...
    -Ed Fuqua's right though- play around and see what you like... goes for any instrument

4. You can always de-gloss it (hello white Scotch-Brite pads), or have it de-glossed, if shiny basses bother you (as they bother *me*).

I've always heard that Knillings & Strunals are pretty much equivalent, though Mars Music was selling Knillings, which they had priced at about $2500, as I recall. I'd rather have a Christopher for about that same price, or a Strunal for MUCH less than that at www.cutting-edgemusic.com