1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice me please.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by emythefretless, May 15, 2006.

1. emythefretless

emythefretless

May 14, 2006
    Hello,
    My luthier is working on a new 5 string for me now and I want him to craft the active circuit cover and the pickup covers from the same wood which is surrounding them (just like in the F Bass'es).
    He says that the blanks in his disposal are not of enough dimensions to cut those covers from (they are swampash). So i figured out that if i bring him a topwood (he doesn't have figured wood for tops so i "have to" find if i want so) there will be approximately 2.2 inches on the swampash body blank that wont be needed, and he can cut the back cover from that excess part saved with the usage of a topwood and if i buy a thick topwood , then covers for the pickups would be cut from it, with matching grain or figure.

Would you advice me to do so and go buy a topwood?
    Which species would you advice me?
    -Uniqueness of the figure, stiffness of the wood, price and the shipping method (as i'll have it shipped to Turkey) of the company also affects my choice.

And i was planning to install bartolini soapbars but i guess they are epoxycast and unsuitable for replacing the plastic covers. Do you have any idea on how to wood cover a soapbar pickup?

Regards,
    Emre.