Advice? My Ebay Sterling has no gloss on the neck!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimothy_86, May 5, 2004.

1. Hey all

I recently got a Musicman Sterling 4 string (2000 model) on Ebay. I'm pretty sure everythings cool with it, no fret buzz and a nice low action. But I have one problem.

The neck has no gloss on it.

The neck feels really nice and smooth, but theres no visable gloss on it that I can see. Is this a bad sign and should I maybe look into getting it reapplied professionally to save wearing the neck down?

The gloss suddenly starts on the head stock as soon as it gets to the start of the head. theres a blurry kinda line that separates the neck and headstock and the headstock is glossy. Also the fretboard isnt glossy but I think its meant to be like that?

Could it be a case that simply all the gloss has worn off? How serious is all this.

btw is a maple neck

Thanks for reading

kind regards :bassist:
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If its anything like the Stingrays, its supposed to be that way. There's likely a finish there, but a light OIL finish as opposed to a gloss finish. Its much faster on the hands, especially when your hands are sweaty. If it was bare wood, it would still be fine, but get rather dirty looking after awhile.

Believe me, you'll wear your hands down to the bone before you will wear off a gloss finish by playing . . .
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    This is intentional!

They coat it with something, I think it's more of a light wax. I love the feel of their necks because of it.
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Directly from their web site:

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=75>[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Finish[/font]</TD><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend[/font]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  5. Ah right, thats cool then.

You're right, it feels gorgeous to hold and play on, and it is true about gloss slowing you down. I was just checking incase I was being ripped off or something. (never played another Sterling)

Thanks guys!
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Boy does it get dirty though... gotta windex mine off every once in a while :p
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

With regular use, non-glossy necks become glossy over time. Eventually you'll be asking us how to remove the gloss. :)
  8. No, it wouldn't. Maple is not *meant* to be played raw. You need some sort of barier on the wood between it and your hand sweat / moisture. Unless you WANT the wood to eventually warp.

Ernie Ball offers their necks with an oil/wax blend finish, and sells the finish as a seperate part #, as does Warwick, and it's a similar finish.
  9. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, a normal satin finish looks like there's really nothing on it...

But, you can NOT leave a bare maple neck unfinished, it'll warp. There ARE some exotic woods which are meant to be played unfinished. Padouk & Wenge come to mind, but maple is NOT one of those.