1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice - Need a versatile string!

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by MDrost1, Aug 23, 2012.

1. MDrost1

MDrost1

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    Hello,

I am look for to try a new string set up for my Shen 3/4 Carved willow bass with a C extension. Currently, I have Bel Canto's. They are great bowed, but the pizz is not good.

I play primarily orchestral/solo and quite a bit of jazz. I'd like something that is a great bowed string as well as pizz. Spiro's? I know this is the age old question.

I would love some advice! Is there such a string that has a nice bright bowed sound and a great pizz? I'd like to sell my plywood bass which I have been using for jazz. A great string set or combo set would be great. Thanks!!!!

2. Spiro is a big sounding, powerful string, and yeah it lasts forever.
    But the real thing for both pizz and arco worlds, in my opinion is Eva Pirazzi. The Weich set (which is not really light) is even easier under the bow, and have more growl for the jazz pizzicato than the Medium set. pizz sounds somewhat oldschool, has a dark sound profile, reminds gut.
    And the arco sound is beautiful...

3. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Aug 1, 2012
    I second the Evah weichs. I have also used Spiro mittel E & A and Evah weich D & G to good use, but I liked the more natural sound of the Evahs even if they did lack a little strength.

4. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

Jul 6, 2007
    See the newbie links. Or do a search. Or even just read the most recent threads as there is another one asking this very question (also in which the newbie links were brought up) on the first page of threads, as well as one on the subject of bowing Spirocores.

5. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    If you don't mind low tension, then detuned Spirocore solos are good. Good pizz sound, and fairly easy to bow compared to other spirocores. They have a bright sound arco and pizz but somewhat less than the heavier gauges. If you want higher tension then the Evah Pirazzis might be a good fit (either regular or weich).

6. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Aug 1, 2012
    Really? I always heard that starks were the easiest to bow.

7. what the pluck

what the pluck

Oct 13, 2010
    Australia
    I just swapped from belcantos to spiros on my ply bass for the same reasons, I'm still waiting for them to settle properly but they wear both hats nicely so far. I did some recording over the last few days on a friends beautiful carved bass which is strung with Evahs, although I didn't play any arco with this bass so I can't comment on that but pizz was nice, kind of somewhere in the middle of the spiro and bels pizz sound. I think at the end of the day you can't really go wrong with either of the 2.