Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice needed (2 days in a row, sorry)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, May 10, 2005.

1. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    great, i've had to come here to get advice two days in a row.

ok heres todays problem. I am in college studying computer science. at about christmas i realised i hated the course and told my parents that i wanted to drop out. They went mad and told me that i was just sad about having to go back and that i would be grand when i went back. i accepted this went back and tried my best to like the course. Now ive come to the realisation that it just absolutely sucks and that is not going to give me any satisfaction for the next 2 years and that when i finish i wont even have a good enough education for the job i want (Games Development).

i know that there is a course in Ireland called games development and am really interested in doing it. Its a new course this year and is sponsored by microsoft. The problem is my dad is a computer recruitment consultant and is sketchyt about the course 1. because of its title and 2. because of the college its in. He claims the college is "inferior" to the college im at now even though my other brother went and studied computer networking at that college after dropping out of a different "superior" college.

so now im trying to decide, do i drop out before my exams and face having to pay the 4000 euro to do the course or do i wait, hope to pass my exams and keep on with the course i despise and which to be quite honest is really putting a major downer on me at the moment.

anybody else have similar experiences to this?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    In the UK - Institution is more important than degree. Thats qualification over skill set.

3. Cut your hair, sell it to a wig making shop for 4000 euro and do the other course.....

4. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    nice link southpaw. well done. Im not really going for this whole institution over instruction stuff. i cant see how a company would look at a cv see one person has a degree in games production and is looking to do games programming or computer animation and then look at someone elses cv and see that they majored in computer graphics but studied computer science and say "hey lets give the guy who only studied the subject for 1 year the job over the guy who studied in this field for the last 4 years".

and also the course in games production also allows for 6 months work placement which my present course doesn't. surely that would mean a lot, no?