1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice needed about teaching guitar...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Milky, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Milky

Milky

Jan 26, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    Blasphemy, I know. I have been approached by a friend of mine to give her 2 sons and a couple of their friends some basic guitar lessons. All four of the boys are between 7 and 9. These lessons will start at the beginning of summer and she thinks maybe 2 -3 times a week, I guess like a summer camp. I think the lessons will probably last 30 mins to an hour.

My concerns are what topics to cover? Can a 7 year old understand major and minor chords? How do I keep it interesting to them? I took about 3 group guitar lessons when I was their age and quit after playing Three Blind Mice 11ty thousand times.

Any experience teaching this age group that would be beneficial? Any thoughts about basic topics to cover? Any other advice?

Thanks for you help. And if this is in the wrong section, mods, please move it.

2. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    My friend's son is taking lessons at age 7. The real key seems to be to ask them what songs they want to learn and work on the basics of those songs while teaching them the other "real" lessons (chords, notes, rhythm, etc.) as they apply to the songs.

3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

ditto.. have them pick a tune.. or teach ear training with melodies.

4. derekd

derekd

Feb 16, 2009
    KC
    I keep about 10 guitar students weekly. First thing is finding a guitar that fits them, but isn't a toy or crap. My experience is that there are 2, the Ibanez Mikro and Squire Mini Strat.

If they are trying to play on a full sized guitar, kids can get discouraged pretty quickly. I teach open position chords right away, and then as crijan points out, get'em playing tunes asap.

If he is a Guitar Hero fan, Hal Leonard has put together all those tunes in a book with standard, tab and the chords. Pretty easy. Good luck

5. JasonLamb

JasonLamb

Aug 17, 2007
    Don't start with major and minor chords...you'll loose em...simple notes first (hal leonard book 1) and then smoke on the water or a simple blues bass riff. Works great everytime.

6. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    2-3 times a week?
    I'd keep it twice a week max, for about 45 mins a time maybe less depending on how A.D.D the kids are.
    Kids this age tend to let their focus wander pretty quick.
    I never got the hang of teaching any one younger than 14.