advice needed as to which City to move to

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AJ Love, Feb 23, 2004.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    my wife and I are happily counting down the months to when my eldest son goes off to college and we can move away from Madison WI.... while Madison has its postive attributes its not the place we want to live in forever. we have 5 years to figure out where to go next (the only reason we live in Madison is because my 12 year old son lives here, I get to see him twice a week)

I make my living playing bass guitar. mainly funk and jamband stuff, a little Jazz fusion, some studio gigs, so preferably a city with a great music scene OR in close proximity to a great music scene is wanted

here's the thing though: my wife and I have a one year old son. I am not exactly sure that we want our kid growing up in NYC or Chicago or some other big city....

so therein lies the rub: looking for a place that has access to a great music scene, or at least is close by a great music scene, AND is a good place to raise kids

any ideas, suggestions, whatever is most appreciated
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Lacey, Washington. I was pretty much raised here, and am raising my own kids here now as well.

One hour south of Seattle, two hours north of Portland.

My wife used to live in Thorp, Wisconsin.

3. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    the Washington state area is a good suggestion. close to several bigger cities and good for West Coast tours. my wife has relatives in Bellingham WA and we both like that place alot. right in between Seattle and Vancouver
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I like Belligham also. That's pretty far from me, so I don't go there much.

5. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I grew up in the Bay Area and it's an awesome place. The suburbs have great schools for your kid (especially Pleasanton, my home town) and really cool music scenes for all ages in pretty much every genre. That and SF is just plain cool.
  6. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Nashville Tennesee. -Luke
  7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I second this. Just make sure you are out in the 'burbs in a town like Pleasanton. Marin County is also nice but $$$ and a bit out of touch with a real demographic for your child to experience. SF is without a doubt my favorite city in the world but IMO it is a place for adults. One of the reasons I left is because I felt it was no place to raise a kid.
  8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    your wife's name isn't Jen by any chance is it?

I ask as my wife Meredith is originally from Madison and she had a friend Jen who lived there and ended up marrying a working bass player. Not that I'm trying to say there's only one working bass player in Madison... but it was worth asking.

Either way, we have the same problem from the opposite end, although we don't have kids yet. We live in NYC area, and sometime in next five-ten years we want to move to somewhere smaller. Somewhere big enough to have decent music scene, job market etc but not as big as (say) Chicago.

It's a while away, but we're definitely eyeing the Washington / Oregon area.
  9. oregon and washington are both great places to live :D
  10. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Pittsburgh's a great jazz city that everybody seems to forget about.
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A vote for Boston.

Great music scene here, good radio and press support for a wide range of music (not much C&W though). Drive 40 miles out of the city and you're into rural areas, so you don't have to live in the city (I don't) to take advantage of the scene. Only downside is it's expensive to live around here, though cheaper than SF!

Gig radius if you're willing to do a two hour drive is from New Haven, CT to Portland, ME. NYC gigs are doable but long drives (4-5 hours one way).
  13. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I really don't care either way. I'm just wondering if anyone else caught the irony of this particular thread being moved. I found that amusing.
  14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Nashville and its surrounding areas, many beautiful small towns, would be a great place to raise a child and to pursue a music career. The weather is much milder than Madison, but you still have a short winter and a beautiful fall and spring.

Nashville has an active jazz scene, country scene, gospel scene, bluegrass and Christian pop. It is very competitive there because it is a recording hub and staging scene for touring bands, so musicians who enjoy the styles of music I mentioned do gravitate to the city looking for a break.

With hard work and determination you might be able to break into studio work. One way to start with recording song writers' demos, which is easier work to get than outright studio work recording for the bigger names. Those jobs are rwrapped up pretty tightly.

If you go there, a free newspaper called "The Nashville Scene" comes out weekly. One page is devoted to ads for bands seeking musicians. That same page has ads for musicians seeking bands.

I no longer live in Nashville, but I loved my years there.
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    "The Nashville Scene" is also a cool song from Hank Williams Jr.

16. id love to live in boston or seattle

but please, do your self a favor and stay outta the south :smug:
  17. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    How 'bout the NW suburbs of Chicago? You could enjoy all of the benefits of the city (musically and culturally) and still live in a relatively open area with smaller feel and slower pace. The schools are great, the restaurants are great, there are good economic opportunities in the area, etc. It's not a bad deal. :)
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Don't move to Portland, OR.

Other than that, may I suggest Orlando, Florida? Pretty good scene down there.
  19. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    David--nope my wife isn't Jen

thanks for the suggestions everyone