1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice needed changing my approach to bass ownership

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 12, 2010.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Warning long babbling post.

OK so last month I owned the following

Overwater Custom Progress III with Original Body (5 String 36inch Scale)
    Overwater Evolution (5 String 35inch Scale)
    Valenti Number 3 (4 String Jazz, 34inch Scale)
    Rickenbacker 4003
    Dearmond Starfire with Darkstar Pups (4 String, 30inch Scale, hollowbody)
    Hofner 185/E2 (4 String 30inch Scale)
    Gretsch G5265 (6 string, 30inch Scale, tuned an octave down from a guitar)
    MIM 60's RI Fender Jazz (4 String 34inch Scale)
    Westone Thunder 1A (4 String 34inch Scale)
    Epiphone ET-280 (4 string 30inch Scale)

Now I have
    Overwater Custom Progress III with Original Body (5 String 36inch Scale)
    Overwater Evolution (5 String 35inch Scale)
    Valenti Number 3 (4 String Jazz, 34inch Scale)
    Rickenbacker 4003
    Dearmond Starfire with Darkstar Pups (4 String, 30inch Scale, hollowbody)
    Hofner 185/E2 (4 String 30inch Scale)

And am contemplating how to move forward, I've got rid of the things I rarely use and got in trades etc and now left with the basses that have a medium to high value.

Now I can't sell the Rickenbacker as my Dad bought it for me 10 years ago and it's very special to me, even if I don't play it as much as I should.

The Overwater Progress is my main live bass which intern makes it my main bass full stop. I only play in one band and we do original music (as in not covers, you make your own judgement as to if it sounds innovative) and we gig fairly regularly.

The second Overwater is then it's backup it sound pretty much identical though being 35inch scale and not 36 it's not quite as tight on my low A string (We tune down a full step across all the strings)

Now I tried to sell the Overwater Evolution and then withdrew it after I played it and realised how great it is. It's very comfortable to play and quite a bit lighter than the other Overwater (Just doesn't look as cool) so I've come to the conclusion I think Overwater's are the basses for me which then leads me on to the others and my current approach to basses.

my approach is have something that can cover everything, so have the basses you love and that you work with day in but then have whatever else you could possibly need for any other situation that exists and not even what you may find yourself.

So my conclusion is I'm a rock player I'll likely always be a rock player, of the 10 bands I auditions for last year to fill my spare time all were a rock band of some sort and in that scene people aren't bothered if I play a Fender or an Ernie Ball they want me to come in play how I play, sound how I sound and perform how I perform so why not expand on that.

So I ask myself now do I need a shortscale bass with flats or should i just carry some flats in my gigbags and spend 10 minutes changing them if I ever need that or just palm mute more in the live situation.

So I've been eyeing up 2 more Overwater's 1 is a 4 string, bolt on neck, 2 band eq, on the cheaper end of the Overwater scale and I I could use this to replace the Valenti which has been my main "take to everything that you're not sure what to use bass" it's got lots of switching options.

The other is a 36 inch scale, neck through, 3 band eq, basically top of the range Overwater which I can probably get if I get rid of both my Starfire and Hofner.

I suppose the questions are:
    Do I need more Overwaters?
    If yes should I get ones that duplicate what i have now or things that add to it like a 4 string or a fretless?
    Should I both with the 4 string or just keep the Valenti (which is a really stunning bass)?
    How close will a modern 35 inch scale bass get to that of a 40 year old 30 inch scale bass when you string both with flats?

So just open to peoples opinions or general thoughs.

Cheers

2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Keep everything you have and buy more when funds are available.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Why? If you have two of their basses, albeit different variations there of, is there really a need for another? For your only current gig you have a main bass and a backup. If you wanted to replace one of the two so that you had two even more similar basses for this purpose I could see that, but it's not really necessary unless you want to keep them in alternate tunings or you plan on breaking strings often. Then again, if you like their stuff, then why not right?

Your call. Do you see a need (or a future need) for a 4 string or a fretless? Considering that you have 4 other 4 strings which are not your main gigging basses, you'd probably be set with what you had. Or you could get rid of a few of those for a 4 string closer to main bass.

Again, your call. How adjusted to the Overwaters are you? Would you prefer a 4 string overwater to the 4 string Valenti?

Not very, I wouldn't think. IMO, the Rick with flats is probably going to sound closer to the Hofner with flats than a long-scale modern bass. Although, I looked up that Hofner, and it looks pretty sweet.

When I think about these things I tend to consider how much trouble it would be to replace those items should I decide I made the wrong move. A modern DeArmond with Darkstars? Probably not hard. Maybe a little expensive, but as long as Hammond is still producing the pickups (even if he is apparently taking his sweet time) that shouldn't be too bad. The Valenti? Nino is still making basses right? And his is probably similar to a lot of other custom makers who could build you something along those lines. The Hofner? That's probably a rare bird. But that could work to your advantage (in terms of resale value) if it really isn't being used and you can cop the same tones with the rick/another bass. Aesthetics only take you so far.

4. I think you have what you need, and I'd definitely keep a good short-scale or two. A 35" will not sound like a 30" regardless of what you do.

You have two Overwaters - I don't know anything about them, but if you have two of X brand, you don't need any more. Take some anti-G.A.S. meds and concentrate on playing, not buying.

If you add anything, add a Fender P so you can play REAL rock. ;)

5. I guess the real question is, is owning a bass a thing of function? Do you need it as a specific tool? Or is it a thing of desire, of admiration? Do you own many basses because you like a specific instrument, the way it feels, plays, sounds. Do you keep it for these abstract values, or for it's specific physical function...? Hmm.

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Good questions, I like to think I have them as specific tools ie I don't take a 36inch scale modern bass that looks like a thunderbird and jazz hybrid to a blues gig, I take the jazz or one of the shortscales depending on what type of blues it is.

The Ric is still around due to sentimental value I mean it's a great bass and I do really like it but in the 10 years i've owned it I've gigged it once, but regardless I can never get rid of it.

The shortscale do fill a bit of a physical function, when you spend all your time playing 36 and 35 inch scale basses with rounds and pick then it's nice to pickup a 30incher with flats and play it finger style but this does tend to be more of a home thing than an out and about gigging.

The way I'm feeling now is I want the other 36 inch Overwater it's a really beautiful bass and so similar to my main instrument, really the only way I can get it is to let the 35incher go and I'm not sure I can part with it but I think it would be a mistake to get rid of both the Hofner and the Starfire, I think I can happily live without the Starfire, I can pickup a cheaper hollowbody if I wish but the Hofner sounds so deep and thumpy anyway.

So looking to get it down to 5 basses, 2 Overwater 5 strings, Valenti Jazz, Ric and Hofner.

Though if the money becomes available I may try the Overwater 4 string it's really cheap for what it is.

Amps are my next problem ;) currently eyeing up 5 vintage amps and 2 modern amps, all tube of course :D