Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advice needed for adjusting string height.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dirtgroove, Nov 17, 2003.

1. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Please bear in mind that I'm new to this before flaming me for doing something absurd- also that I live in Taiwan and advice on stuff lilke this isn't the easiest to get hold of.

I changed my strings (flat wounds to high beams)a couple of days ago and the first thing that struck me was an absurd level of fret buzz when plucking a note (mainly on a and d strings and with less buzz the higher up the neck I play). With an open A or D the note was totally smothered by the buzz. Before I changed the set there was not fretbuzz.

Well, as I only had a few hours before I had to play I figured that by raising the bridge height this would solve the solution. To a certain extent it did (except that now the action is considerably higher-).

My question is do I need to do anything else? I'm NEW to this, don't entirely understand truss rods and am reluctant to mess around with it my myself. I would love to get that nice low action back (and the high beams) if possible.

PS also if this helps the bass is standard four string stingray.

many thanks,
    Tom.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Check the string winding around the posts. The string should be wound downwards, to create as much downward pressure on the string at the nut as possible.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Since the buzzing seems to occur low down the neck, even when the string is played open, it sounds like the neck has too little relief. This should be adjusted with the truss rod.

If you're not comfortable adjusting the truss rod, I'd recommend you take it to a pro. If you don't mind trying it yourself, I'd say there's little chance you could do damage with a 1/4 turn. See if it improves. If it gets worse, try the other way.

4. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Clockwise = tighten = less relief (flatter)
    Counterclockwise = loosens = more relief (bow)
    Loosen them strangs till they flop before turning that truss rod nut one smidgen.

Are the strings a smaller gauge? A loose fit in the nut slot will buzz. And ditto Figjam. Try getting a steeper break angle.

-RH

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Most flatwounds strings are higher tension than rounds. You need more relief in the neck.

Once you get right and get the saddle where you want them, you'll need to reset the intonation, raising and lowering saddles has a huge impact on intonation.

6. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Thank you to the people that offered given. This site is amazing
    . Truss rod sorted after a bit of of tweaking here and there the weak link in my tone is once again myself.
    Tom