Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice needed for intonation problem with Sterling

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mike, Jul 1, 2001.

1. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Next to throwing the damn thing thru the window, I cannot cure my Sterling's intonation problem. I have done everything I have done in the past with other basses, tweak the saddles a bit, changed strings and it still will not intonate. The notes are slightly flat. I know this because when I compare my D on the A string with my D on the G string, it will only come in with a slight bend to the A. The same happens from my E to D strings. Yes, the bass is tuned but it doesn't help.

What else (frets?) at this point could be affecting the intonation in this respect? Any input is appreciated. BTW, this is not a brand new Sterling. I purchased it recently as a used model online. It supposedly is a 1999 model if that has any relevance.

Thanks in advance.

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Paleale, If all the strings will intonate properly at the octave and all the strings are off by about the same amount between the nut and the octave or above the octave, the only thing it can be is bad strings or improper fret spacing.

Since you don't really know the history of the bass, there is a good chance that this is the reason the bass was for sale. I wish I could be more positive than this but I'm afraid it's pretty much cut and dried.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm pretty certain that I'm not.

Pkr2

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Paleale, If all the strings will intonate properly at the octave and all the strings are off by about the same amount between the nut and the octave or above the octave, the only thing it can be is bad strings or improper fret spacing. Since you have changed the strings, you've pretty much elimenated them as the problem.

Since you don't really know the history of the bass, there is a good chance that this is the reason the bass was for sale. I wish I could be more positive than this but I'm afraid it's pretty much cut and dried.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm pretty certain that I'm not.

Hambone or Rockinjock may have another slant on this if they would like to respond. They are both very knowledgable on this sort of thing.

Pkr2

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    If the octave intonation is ok, it is the best you will ever have!
    Any instrument with tempered tuning should be *slightly* out of tune between the strings. And with a fretted bass, every note is to be expected *slightly* out of tune. (With an unfretted, some would expect you to be *well* out of tune:D)

Fix the octave, and be content. You will probably be the only one to notice any lack of tuning.

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Suburban,

You are absolutely right. I will probably be the only one, but it still drives me nuts. I think I'm just gonna have to suck it up though. It is slight, the bass has great tone and if I sold it, I would just buy another one. So, if you see me playing somewhere, don't tell me what I already know... just DEAL with it!

Thanks all for your input.

6. GroovBs

GroovBs

Jun 30, 2001
    Alabaster,AL
    Make sure to neck dosen't have a bow in it!