Advice needed for Practice Amp purchase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BStringJerry, Sep 23, 2017.

1. BStringJerry

BStringJerry

Aug 5, 2005
    Texas
    I'm looking for a good sounding practice amp. Something warm sounding without alot of coloration. This amp will never leave my practice room, except for maybe an occasional patio or garage Jam Session with friends. I am looking at the Ampeg BA112... I would love a B100R or B50R which receive a lot of praise on TB. But, there aren't too many of those to found for sale and when I find one they come with comparatively higher prices naturally, and always seem to be found fairly distant, so combined with shipping cost make them out of the price range I'm wanting to pay for a practice amp. Is there any differences (pro and con) between the newer and older models of the BA112? I see one at 75w and the other at 50w, but other that that, what? Are there other amps in the same price range to consider that sound as good or better? Any advice from knowledgeable users will be appreciated.

2. What is your max budget?

3. BStringJerry

BStringJerry

Aug 5, 2005
    Texas
    I wouldn't wont to spend more than $250 unless the amp justifies it in a special way. I have found a BA112 for $175. Also, are the Genz Benz Intro amps worth comparison?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Been a while since I played a BA112 v1, but I have a v2 and I don't remember much difference between the two soundwise when you put the v1 Style knob in the middle position. I could be wrong, but I know the BA108, 110 and 115 don't sound very different in the new versions, so I'd have to think that my slightly fuzzy memory is OK and the 112's were close, too. Not necessarily exact but in the ballpark. The notable differences are that there is no Style knob on the new ones since everyone usually sets them in the middle anyway, and the tiltback. And the Scrambler overdrive. And the extra bump in wattage, but with only a 25w bump, it might get a shade louder but mostly manifests itself as headroom. Still, better to have it than not.

And I'm not familiar with the Intro, but Genz Benz is good stuff usually. They're not in business anymore but their products are still being tech supported if they go ka-flooey on you.

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I would look for a Fender BXR> I played a small gig tonight with one I was simply amazed. So much Punch for a single 15" combo amp. I think it's just 100 watts but it kept up with drummer on about 3/10 volume. It sounded great with all eq sliders set flat. It belongs to my guitarist but I want one bad.

6. Have you tried a BA115v2?

15" speaker. Not heavy.

Should be within your budget in the States.

7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Warmth is coloration.

BadExample likes this.
  8. BStringJerry

BStringJerry

Aug 5, 2005
    Texas
    Anyone have any experience, good or bad with the Fender Bassman 100v2 or 200v2?

This one here:
    download (1).png download.png

How would it compare with the Ampeg BA112v2 or BA115v2?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021