1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice needed for unplugged gig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dxbass, Feb 25, 2008.

1. We have been invited to do an unplugged gig in about 2 months time.Our drummer won't be able to make this gig so we will attempt to do the gig with just a guitar and bass. We have a lot of gigs in between as well so getting another drummer up to speed is not really an option.

Has anyone else done unplugged gigs with just a guitar and bass?

Are there any tips you could offer on filling the void that the drummer will leave?

2. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i've done it a number of times,,, when there's no drummer, don't try to fill those voids as you say,,, just count & come back in on time

3. Do a few prac's if poss. I've done LOADS of 'em on EUB as well as Bass gtr. I sometimes(as I got great time- yrs of playing with a drum machine!!!!!) used to put a tambourine under my foot & tap it-sounded pretty goood tooo!!!!!

BUT- just try & do it natural like- As said- count the spaces of stops, if your GTR ist can, get him to NOT play intricate - gappy type lead breaks, try chordal style brreaks as much as poss.-helps the full sound. If I think of any more I'll let U know- good luck. they can be GOOD FUN.

4. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    LOL only gigged with a drummer......errrrrr....... ok never with my current group. Three times a friend who plays percussion (congas) has sat in....... but that's different-so all our gigs are "unplugged" :).

I suggest learning how to hold the ocatave and chords, holding the octave of the note you are playing fills up the sound a lot (my teacher showed me that one), even if you don't actually strike it. +1 to chords under guitar solos, your guitarist will have to adapt his soloing so the sound doesn't drop out......hope he's a good rhythm player :).

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    We do a little unplugged thing at the beginning of the second set most nights. Only three songs or so, but it goes over very big! The drummer is a gui**** wanna be, so he plays rhythm and I play my box bass. It's a gas, and surprisingly, people dig it!

6. simonlittle

simonlittle

Jan 22, 2008
    West London
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses & Amps
    I think the key t these sorts of gigs is not to overplay. It's very easy to fall into the trap of filling all the gaps where the drummer would be with bass fills and chordal playing. As long as you and your guitarist have good time, try playing exactly what you'd both play normally and let the music breathe. Try to look at the fact that there's no drums as a chance to let your sound come through rather than your chops. I love playing without drums!

7. ElectrAcoustic

ElectrAcoustic

Aug 29, 2007
    Boston, MA
    +1, huge point.. the guitarist should play like he's playing a solo-acoustic gig and you're filling in the low end and supporting rhythm.. I also try and think in terms of a conga player when I'm on a gig like this.. counter-rhythms are your friend.. oh, and careful not to go into any Smothers' Brothers routines.. :cool: