1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice needed for violin purchase

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by shawn2000, Jan 11, 2012.

1. shawn2000

shawn2000

Mar 2, 2004
    Logan, UT
    I am looking at upgrading my daughters violin. She is currently playing a Strunal 1/4 size Violin. I need to move up to a 1/2. There are not many local shops here that are very helpful with regard to helping me suss out the best quality/price. (Only one shop, and the help is clueless).

So, looking for some input on picking up an instrument that not only sounds great, but is somewhat budget minded. Everywhere I look points me to the Suzuki Model 220. But, wonder if I would be only paying for the name, and if there are better options out there. I am looking to pay in the $200-$400 range.

My apologies if this is the wrong forum. And feel free to move it if I offend.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone cares to offer up.

2. I would suggest:
    violinist.com
    as a better place to post your query! - j

3. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Ditto on the suggestion to check out Violinist.com: The Violin Community

The best bet is to find a decent string shop and try out several violins. The price range you stated will not get you much. If you absolutely can not get to a string shop, try one of these: Southwest Strings (AZ), Stringworks (WI), Ifshin Violins (CA), Shar Music (MI), Johnson Strings (MA), or Quinn Violins (MN). They (and there are some others) are all reputable, do business via phone/internet, and can help you out.

In general, it is easier to find a decent student fiddle than a bass, but some of the same cautions apply.

4. shawn2000

shawn2000

Mar 2, 2004
    Logan, UT
    Thanks. I think I have been steered in the proper direction. Should be easy now!