Advice needed from someone (U.S.) who has recently applied for a passport...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Jul 27, 2004.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I find myself possibly rushing to get a passport in order to make some hastily-conceived vacation plans come together...

Question: One requirement is a "certified" birth certificate. I plan to apply in person, so I don't intend to mail my birth certificate. When applying in person, does one need merely *show* them the certificate and allow them to make a photocopy, etc. -- or do they need to keep a copy to process with the application?

I'm not going to let go of my original certificate, so I would need to rush and order a certified copy... IF they need to keep the copy rather than simply inspect/copy it.

Anyone know which it is? Info on the web merely said you'd need a copy... not whether you'd have to surrender it or not.

2. spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    I recently renewed my passport.
    You need to bring your original birth certificate. But they do not take it from you and process it. They copy down your information, name, DOB, etc. from it, and also use it as a piece of identification, but once they're done with it, they hand it back.
    hope that helps
  3. That birth certificate is NOT the hospital one. You have to go to your local courthouse and get their copy. In case you didn't know.
  4. I'm going to need to know this come, like March or so. Either I go to France 'cause of my ***ing careet :cool: or I go on vacation to Europe for a week, that is what I decided :)
  5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Basically a certified birth certificate is one that has been notarized. You can tell if your certificate has been notarized because the paper will be raised by the notary stamp. All notary stamps I've seen leave a circular stamp.