Advice needed. Help!!

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by ChristianETEV, Jul 15, 2018.

1. ChristianETEV

ChristianETEV

Jul 15, 2018
    Hello All,
    I have been playing for about 7 years, but am just recently getting back into theory and music reading. Are there any recommendations for method books of beggining higher position and thumb position theory?

2. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Some may say " Franco Petracchi Simplified Higher Technique"...
    Some will say "Teacher teacher teacher"
    Some will say "Simandl Book II (the white book)

That should cover it...!

3. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    I would use Simandl with some updated fingering here and there. I'm not sure what the fuss over Petracchi is, but some like it.

4. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    There really is a mental block with playing in the thumb position. Perhaps we should of started playing in the thumb position first before learning the lower positions.

My conclusion, think of the same notes in the first octave of the finger board and just spend time in the thumb position to get it natural. Perhaps play the first Simandl book or 30 Etudes or other simple studies, an octave higher.

Michael Moore's 'Melodic Playing in the Thumb Position' is useful. Geared towards improvising, which we all do :)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  5. ChristianETEV

ChristianETEV

Jul 15, 2018
    Thank you all! Wish me luck in this venture down the road of the left thumb :p

CaseyVancouver likes this.