Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice Needed: Lightweight Cabs for Rock

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RiddimKing, Mar 27, 2005.

1. RiddimKing

RiddimKing

Dec 29, 2004
    I'm planning on upgrading from a combo to a head/cab and I'd appreciate some advice. I play power-pop/punk and like the vintage Ampeg sound, but I've got a vintage lower back, and don't want to haul a big cab around. I'm thinking about an Ampeg SVT-Pro III head (or possibly a Mesa hybrid (tube pre/MOSFET power), and I was wondering if I could still get the same Ampegy sound if I ran them through a light weight (neodymium) cab such as the Epifani 310UL or one of their equivalents. I know those cabs are often used by jazz bassists, but would they work for rock (behind two loud guitarists)? Thanks for your expert help...

J

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Two EA NL-210's would do a great job, IMHO, as would two Accugroove Tri 210L's.

4. EBS Cabs are really nice....
    But very bright, some like, other not, I love!
    And very light, more, the new neo cabs are lighter (is it possible??)

Vince

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i wouldn't hesitate to use the 310 cabs for rock. i'm also a big fan of the bag end 1x15 plus 1x12 stack.

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    That would indeed work: Bag End S15-D (or S15X-D) + S12-D, as would two of the BE 1x15 cabs.

7. RiddimKing

RiddimKing

Dec 29, 2004
    Thanks for all your help: you've all given me a lot to think about (and a lot of options to test drive). The Shroeder is interesting--I've never even heard of those before now; he's local to me, so I might be able to visit and try those cabs out. I've heard lots of good things about Bag End, too, so those will be a possibility. I know the Eden and Accugroove have excellent reputations, but I think they're too pricey for me if I have to buy two at $1K each...

Again, I appreciate the responses! (And so fast...gotta love this forum.)

J

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    an Epifani UL310 would kick major booty. mine did for a now defunct funk rock trio. FYI, stones' bassist, Daryl Jones uses an Epi 6x10 for his gigs.

if you have the money, definitely give them a looksee.

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    ditto

I use both bergantino and epifani for classic rock through nu-metal and they work great! :bassist: