Advice Needed: Lightweight Cabs for Rock

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RiddimKing, Mar 27, 2005.

1. RiddimKing

Dec 29, 2004
    I'm planning on upgrading from a combo to a head/cab and I'd appreciate some advice. I play power-pop/punk and like the vintage Ampeg sound, but I've got a vintage lower back, and don't want to haul a big cab around. I'm thinking about an Ampeg SVT-Pro III head (or possibly a Mesa hybrid (tube pre/MOSFET power), and I was wondering if I could still get the same Ampegy sound if I ran them through a light weight (neodymium) cab such as the Epifani 310UL or one of their equivalents. I know those cabs are often used by jazz bassists, but would they work for rock (behind two loud guitarists)? Thanks for your expert help...

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Two EA NL-210's would do a great job, IMHO, as would two Accugroove Tri 210L's.
  4. EBS Cabs are really nice....
    But very bright, some like, other not, I love!
    And very light, more, the new neo cabs are lighter (is it possible??)

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i wouldn't hesitate to use the 310 cabs for rock. i'm also a big fan of the bag end 1x15 plus 1x12 stack.
  6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    That would indeed work: Bag End S15-D (or S15X-D) + S12-D, as would two of the BE 1x15 cabs.
  7. RiddimKing

Dec 29, 2004
    Thanks for all your help: you've all given me a lot to think about (and a lot of options to test drive). The Shroeder is interesting--I've never even heard of those before now; he's local to me, so I might be able to visit and try those cabs out. I've heard lots of good things about Bag End, too, so those will be a possibility. I know the Eden and Accugroove have excellent reputations, but I think they're too pricey for me if I have to buy two at $1K each...

Again, I appreciate the responses! (And so fast...gotta love this forum.)

8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    an Epifani UL310 would kick major booty. mine did for a now defunct funk rock trio. FYI, stones' bassist, Daryl Jones uses an Epi 6x10 for his gigs.

if you have the money, definitely give them a looksee.
  9. inazone

Apr 20, 2003

I use both bergantino and epifani for classic rock through nu-metal and they work great! :bassist: