Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice needed on a new rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by no4mk1, Jul 1, 2004.

1. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    O.K. My current rig consists of an Ashdown ABM EVO 300 head, mini 112H, and mini 115 cab. It sounds exactly like I want, but I need more power.

It is border line on many of the clubs we play (no PA support with most).

I am looking at replacing the 112 with a mini 4x8, and building a rack using an Ashdown RPM-1 powered by a QSC PLX 1202 bridged to the 4 ohm total of those two cabs.

I would be attempting to replicate the sound of the current rig, but add a bit of punchyness with the 4x8 and of course increase volume, as well as headroom.

Does anyone see any pitfalls with this set up? I have never messed with rack setups before, so although I have been doing a bunch of searching on Talkbass about the stuff, I am mostly looking for anyones personal experience with this gear.

I am currently looking to move some gear to finance this, so two grand will by my absolute top dollar for putting this together. I would like to keep the ABM 300 and the 1x12 for an acoustic duo rig.

If it helps, I am in an original roots rock trio, so the colored sound of the Ashdown is a good thing. However, we are NOT metal, so it has to have a good old school clean thump to it.

Cheers,
    Chris

2. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yes the ABM 300 puts out 325 watts at 4 ohms.

I was planning on putting together the rack first, and purchase the 4x8 last, but I really like the sound of the 4x8 with the 115. I would have bought that combo in the first place had I had the extra cash. The 112 is adequate, but it was a compromise (although to be honest, I am starting to enjoy using the horn to help cut through the mix).

The 115 is rated at 300 watts, and the 112 is rated at 200. The 4x8 is rated at 600 watts. Wouldn't the combo of the 4x8 and 115 be a more appropriate match for the higher power of the QSC? Would my current configuration be able to keep up?

One thing that has always confused me is the power rating on cabinets, and how they combine when put together in a parallel combination.

Cheers,
    Chris