1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice needed on Aguilar cab with Carvin Micro Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tugboat, Aug 19, 2012.

1. So it appears I am going to be able to score an Aguilar GS112NT from a buddy at a good deal. I was already considering grabbing a Carvin MB10 to use a a practice amp, quiet rehearsal combo, etc. My question is with the 8ohm GS112NT running as an extension with the MB10 and it's 250 watts will the MB10 be able to push enough power to let the Aggie shine? From what I've heard about the BX250 head in these Catrvin's I think yes, but I wanted to hear from some guys that actually know what they are talking about. (I'm a drummer who plays bass ;-). I considered saving a boat load of cash and just going with the MB10 and the 115extension stack but I've heard a lot of negativity about the low end on these 15" Carvin MB extension cabs. FYI - I wouldn't be opposed to another of the Carvin combos MB combos to pair with the AGgie, or even even scrap the Aggie in lieu of something else. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    I forgot to mention....I'm not gigging at teh moment, just playing for fun but I'm a semi gear snob when it comes to bass, just want some decent stuff and stuff if need be I could gig with. (with drums I am a total snob..lol)

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    The larger issue here is combining non-identical cabs, and what that's going to yield, response-wise, throughout the BG frequency range. It won't be a perfect sum at all frequencies: some frequencies will add, some will cancel. You may like the result or you may not. The good side of this deal is you know the guy and he might let you try it out first. Make sure you try it in different rooms, and walk around each room as you listen, because the phasing anomalies can yield different effects depending on where your ears are. Example: things may sound great when you're three feet from the amp because of the relative positioning of the drivers at your ears' location, but there might be huge suckouts and peaks (at various frequencies) 15-20 feet out. Or the other way around. Totally unpredictable. Which is why this sort of thing isn't done in serious SR work. Hope this helps.

3. Why not buy the Aggie from your friend and a BX250 head from Carvin? If you don't like the head, you can return it in 10 days. Or a GK MB200 head.

That's a rig I'd rock. I was also considering a Carvin micro combo but have also heard their micro boxes are low-end-deficient.

4. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    True dat. My MB15 sounds like a beamy midrange driver unless I crank in lots of bass and/or go wild with the contour knob. And even then it can sound sorta, I don't know, weird, tubby, boomy, peaky. Even with the cab completely lined. BUT... add in that matching 115MB cab, and the bass response improves dramatically. Doesn't sound anything like a louder MB15, sounds like a true bass rig.