Advice needed on Compressor Hookup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by westland, Oct 23, 2005.

1. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    My apologies if this is posted elsewhere (though I can't seem to find it). I just received my new dbx160A and have been experimenting with hooking it to my TFB550. Both dbx160A and TFB550 are very quiet; the TFB has a Pre-EQ Send/Receive circuit and a Post-EQ Send/Receive circuit. I've currently got the dbx hooked to the Pre-EQ circuit, because the Post-EQ makes things noisy (it apparently amplifies the ambient 'whoosh' in the TFB's EQ circuits). Many compressors seem to be designed to switch between Pre and Post-EQ position in the signal path. What is the difference, and which is preferred (... for which situations ... and why)??? :confused:
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    It's a matter of what works really. It sounds to me that in your situation, pre-EQ is the better choice. I run mine in the effects loop of my GK and it does fine there. I haven't a clue wether that is pre or post EQ though. My guess is that it is post. I use minimal amounts of compression though. Just a little bit...
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Let's say you like to set your EQ for maximum bass boost. If you put your compressor post EQ and set it to a high ratio, you'll lose a lot of the low end impact, and as you turn the output up to compensate you'll get a huge amount more noise . So in the studio, unless your EQ-ing is subtle, I would compress pre EQ. But in a live setting, maybe your bass hits some resonant frequencies which are boosted through the EQ, and then resonate badly in the room and mess up the mix (soundman turns down your levels to compensate). In that case, you would compress post EQ more as a limiter than as a dynamics control.