Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice Needed on First Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Complex_Bilbo, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Complex_Bilbo

Complex_Bilbo

Mar 5, 2005
    Hey Guys

I am looking to start learning the bass guitar but need some help!

I was thinking of getting one of the Fender Squier starter packages to start off with, which has everything you need. Is this wise, can anyone reccommend any other guitar?

Also, I am having trouble understanding what I can actually play on the bass. For instance, could I stroll into a music shop, pick up any music book and play whats inside, or can I only play music books specially written for the bass guitar??

I hope you'll forgive my ignorance!

2. The squire bass package is a nice starter. I would recomend getting a teacher. good luck man! welcome to the world of bass!

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Firstly, welcome to TB. Secondly, the search feature here would show you this is quite a topic, and has been discussed quite a lot. Now, onto answer your questions...
    What's your budget, and what are you looking to play (style wise)? That will have the biggest impact on what to get really. Those "starter packages" aren't really the best of places to start off at - they usually include an amp that isn't hardly good for bedroom practicing.
    If you can, look around used, i.e. eBay and the classifieds here at TB. Or, you may also want to check out manafacturers such as Essex and Brice (www.rondomusic.net) as alternatives. Do a search here at TB on Essex - there's a mega-thread on them and it seems most players are more than happy with them.
    For an amp, if you can afford it, you'll want to pick up something that can get you through your first few years, and hold it's own on a gig. If you can't afford that, the smaller combos are a nice start, and a lot hold their ground in smaller gigs/practices. Look into the like of Peavey & Ashdown.
    Hope this has helped, and once again, welcome to TB and the world of bassing.

Ray

4. Complex_Bilbo

Complex_Bilbo

Mar 5, 2005
    Thanks man

I've got a bassist friend whos going to teach me, saves on the price of lessons!

I'm still unsure of what I can actually play on a bass though, as I said in my first post.

Any help would be great!

5. It depends on what type of music you are into.
    If you like funk/jazz. you can slap and pop and tap. if your into rock, learn Rush and Iron Maiden. you can do alot of things on the bass.

6. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    To play bass parts out of a book written in standard musical notation, you will need to learn how to read standard musical notation. A guitar book won't work for bass, guitar is in the treble clef, and bass is in the bass clef.

If you have a background in the school band or something, that will help if you decide to learn.

7. Complex_Bilbo

Complex_Bilbo

Mar 5, 2005
    Thanks for the help guys.

I can read musical notation (kinda), I was just worried that I could only play the bass lines of certain tracks.

So I can play any music at all on a bass, sounds good to me. :hyper: