Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice needed on Furman PL Tuner

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Schwinn, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I've been shopping around for a rackmount tuner, mostly looking at Korg DTR-2's, but I recently came across a Furman PL Tuner and I thought, wow! it would be nice to have a tuner and power conditioner all in one rack space. But I don't want a crappy tuner that is really more of an accessory. Also, how does this thing function as a power conditioner?

Anyone have experience with the Furman PL Tuner? They seem very rare. I can't even find info on the Furman website about it. Maybe this is a bad sign?

2. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I have one.

The tuner is dead silent and will not interfere with your tone. I know folks say that, but I'm living it. In addition, there is the mute button that lets you tune while sending no signal to your amp.

The power strip function is as good as any other out there. Just don't confuse it with the Furman AR-117. It does not maintain a level of output voltage. It will simply be the sacrifical lamb in a surge or brown out.

The lights are there, but I don't use them. (I don't play in the dark???) I'm pretty much a set it and forget it kind of guy, so once I'm dialed in, and turn away from the rack, I only look back if I drop out or loose all sound. Between numbers, I check to see if I'm tuned, but I don't need to adjust the bass or the master or anything like that. The Red and Green lights in the tuner function are fine for me.

I say if you've got a chance to get one, don't let it slip. The other thing it's good for is conserving rack space. If you're looking at the PL-Tuner, then imagine having to have 2 spaces instead of one for the same functions. It's pretty handy.

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks, Mario. Do you play a five string? I was also wondering how the tuner picks up the low B.

4. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I play a 6 and it picks up the low B just fine and all harmonics on the entire neck.