Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice needed on new rig components

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vegiehead, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Vegiehead

Vegiehead

Jan 23, 2006
    Hi Guys

Im looking at putting together a bass rig and need some advise, Ive always used combo amps so this is my first time with Cabs and heads and such.

I have 2 options that i can see so far and would like your ideas on what way might be best.

Currently i have a Ashton 4x10 rated at 400w locked at 8 Ohm

Option 1 = get my hands on a Power Amp and a Boss effects pedal so i can get compression, EQ, delay etc total cost approx $1200

Option 2 = get my hands on a 400w 8 Ohm head with EQ,Compression etc on it total cost approx $700

I can see that option 1 gives you expandability (SP?) to add other cabinets down the road if need be but its also twice the price almost!

Im prolly only ever gunna play Pubs and clubs id say no bigger that 100 odd people.

Add to this we have a mixer that ive been asked to run through so there is a central piont that the sound can be controlled from.

Im open to any help.

Thanks

James B

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Dang! That's awfully spendy!

Where the heck are you located?

An RMX850 + a Sansamp RBI + Rack should only cost around $700 brand new! And if you are thinking about the Boss GT6B (will it drive a power amp?) that should still only be around $780 brand new. You can always shop around for the best price.

Click here...

and here.

and here.

The Boss.

Click here.

and here. (for the power amp)

What about $500 for this?

Click.

Mmm....then a 400w (or so) head should more than fit the bill.

That being the case, be careful that your stage volume is not so loud that you overpower the PA! A room with only 100 people in it probably isn't that big unless it's a private party in a big room with only 100 guests.

IMHO of course.

:D

Joe.

3. Vegiehead

Vegiehead

Jan 23, 2006
    Hi
    yeah the prices are steep but im Australia so everything needs to be shipped and exchange rates add to the fun aswell:bawl:

Im thinking with the head just running it through the mixer then to the cab and having the cab off stage... that might make things a bit better volume wise.

Thanks for the info joe

James B

4. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Heh heh,

I'm here to help.

Whether it is good help or bad help remains to be seen!

Also, do you mean run the head to an offstage cab (why offstage?) and run the DI to the mixer?

Joe.

5. Vegiehead

Vegiehead

Jan 23, 2006
    Hi

Thanks for the help i need it :)

Yeah run the head to an offstage cab.. basicly to give us a little more room on stage and i thought it might help if it got to loud to not have it behind us... Just a thought though.

Yeah with the DI ... I thought i could plug the bass into the amp head then out of the DI into the mixer out of the mixer and into the cabinet.. But im not sure thats how DI's work either!

Ideally we'd like everything going through the mixer so the sound can be controlled from a single piont.

If i used the power amp option id proberly go from the bass to the Powered mixer (Use this as a pre amp) then to the power amp then to the cabinet... that should work ok i think?

So many options :crying:

Ps Sorry it took a while to get back to you it was night time downunder

Thanks

James B

6. Direct Input (DI) enables you to bypass the amp and go straight to the PA System. That is, if you are using a PA and don't want to use an amp/cab setup. There are plusses and minuses to doing so. Less control over your sound, unless you tweak the PA System, but the lack of the necessity for an amp/cab. Usually plug an XLR to the PA.

I prefer an amp/cab setup.

7. Vegiehead

Vegiehead

Jan 23, 2006
    Hi

Now i think i understand...

So by using the DI you arnt using any wattage from your amp?

Thanks

James B

8. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Nothing wrong with that, I was just curious.

MMmmm...if you used the DI on the head the mixer would NOT control the amp/cab but it WOULD control the PA bass level.

Yes...and no. If your mixer has an independent output for each channel then yes. You would go into the mixer with your bass (from your pedalboard?) and then use the ouput from the channel (as long as it is 'post' fader) to power your power amp/cab.

If your mixer only has stereo outs then the answer is no.

Yes, tons and tons of options!

(GAS!!!)

And that's o.k. Sometimes a conversation that would only take 5 minutes face to face can take a week on the internet!

Joe.

9. Vegiehead

Vegiehead

Jan 23, 2006
    Thanks for that info im getting a better understanding of it.. Slowly:D

Ok what im planning on doing is this.

Bass to powered mixer (maybe a pedal later on) then to a power amp then to the cabinet.

That should work i think ... it should use the Powered mixer as a pre amp before it goes into the power amp.

I think the power amp is the way to go because of the huge variations it can give you as far as numbers of cabinets and power and Ohms etc.

At least that way the mixer should have some control over the volume.

Sound ok?

James B

10. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yes, that will work as long as the mixer has an independent, post fader output for your channel. If is doesn't, it wont.

Or you may end up hearing the whole band through your cab!

Make sure of this before you spend the dough.

Joe.

11. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Also, if using a powered mixer NEVER make the mistake of hooking up the 'Mains' output to the input of your power amp. If you do you will release all the magic smoke from it.

Joe.

12. Vegiehead

Vegiehead

Jan 23, 2006
    Cool

Thanks for the help, Im sure the Powered mixer can do that as far as seperating the cab from the rest of the band.

Yeah i hate it when the smoke comes out :bawl:

Thanks Again !!

James B