advice needed on next set of strings for fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DeepThought, Apr 4, 2001.

1. DeepThought

Dec 31, 2000
    I'm new at this fretless thing and I'm still trying things out. I have a MIM Jazz with Duncan Antiquity pickups. It started with Fender Flats, which I changed to Chromes, which I thought had more charactor. I then went to Rotosound Swing Bass rounds because I couldn't get my Weather Report Discs out of my head. I thought I had found the holy grail, but I got tired of the relentless ringing. I put the Chromes back on and with the new pickups I really think I'm dialing in on things.

But I'm willing to try new things. I like the rumbling grunt of the flats, but I'm looking for ever more belly, more muscle without getting back into the roundwound buzz, which I love for solos and color, but not for straight playing. It's not just a matter of brightness, I still roll some of the treble off with the Chromes.

Anyone remember Stanley Clarke's acoustic tone on "Romantic Warrior?"

There's always some buzz going on about TI's, but would they be a step in the right direction? Their ads even suggest they really lack sustain, which I like, though that could be residue from my guitar background.

Maybe some of you experienced people could make some suggestions. Thanks!
  2. just put a set of Ken Smith Compressors on my Pedulla fretless a little while back and i love them.

super smooth, no finger noise, not to bright.

got a little more tension than normal round wounds
    hard to find unless you go to
  3. Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    You beat me to the punch there gruffpuppy.I'm going to be picking up a set of the compressors in the next couple of days.They look a lot like roundwounds,until you look closely,and have a marvelous semi-smooth feel to them.They are reasonably priced as well[cheaper than D'addario XL's].They'll also be friendlier to you fretboard Deep Thought.
  4. I've been using Ken Smiths for about 3 years now, and I think they are the best. I have them on two fretless axes right now, one rosewood board and one ebony. No wear on either one. And the strings last a lot longer than the Rotos I was using before. And they sure beat the snot out of the DRs I tried. Great tone and they last- that's all I need.
    Oh yeah, and they're reasonably priced and easy to find!
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I too love Ken Smith strings. They feel great and last a long time.

Hey, if you're looking to try new things - I put Fender nylon strings (steel core) on my Warwick not too long ago, and I was amazed. The bass has tons of high end, so I wasn't missing anything there - and I got this real cool thumpy sort of growl. Wicked fun to play too. If I had a fretless I would definitely throw a set on.