1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice Needed Regarding Club Playing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blah114, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    If I am going to continue playing bars and clubs 500 seats or less, what do people recommend? I currently have an Ampeg combo amp, SVT350T.. I find it's too bright in sound.. I think the 2x10s have negatively impacted my playing as well, because I play very aggressively.. from Rush to David Bowie. I play anything the bands want to play, but mostly rock.. Prince, Police, AC DC, U2, Rush (my fav), Bowie, Wild Cherry, Commodores, even stuff like Joan Jett--whatever the people want to hear.. we play. We once did Rush's Tom Sawyer right after B52s' Love Shack... and the place erupted into cheers before and after..

I guess I need a versatile setup. I have a Sansamp RBI I have come to love as well. Should I get a power amp, use the Sansamp, and be done with it? If not, I am curious to hear what the real world says.. and in my "real world," a bassist playing small clubs does not necessarily run out and buy the latest "boutique" Eden or Aguilar rig.. but I am open to that. Why is that stuff so expensive for such low wattage.

I am wanting to stick around $600 or LESS for a head and am building a cabinet myself, like 1x15 + a horn. I am curious to hear people's thoughts about a rig that is versatile, yet not too hard to tweak. I have read the reviews on this site and have come to think Ashdown is unreliable. I know Ampeg has shipped everything overseas and reportedly has quality issues.. should I ignore these facts? Are there any quality-made EUR or USA amp heads that have good craftmanship that are $600 or under and 500 watts and below (4 ohms).

I play Modulus, Dave Pushic, Fender Jazz and others.. mostly a 70s Fender Jazz which I find to be unsurpassed in tone. I love Eden, but cannot justify their ridiculous prices for such low power (Eden WT 260).. same with Aguilar. I found GK to be sterile and too bright. I confess I love the SVT settings of the Sansamp the most, but do people often use just a Sans+power amp? Right now, for the larger places, I use the Sansamp with Ampeg cabinet.. then go DI out from Sansamp into a PA, and we mix the two together, but I think the crowd mostly hears the Ampeg cabinet. I keep the EQs flat on the Ampeg side and use the Sansamp as a preamp with the Ampeg's speakers. The power is lacking, but Sansamp changed everything in a postive way.

Can someone please help me with opinions. The reviews have helped as well. Are combos good enough for a 500 seat club.. I have come to dislike combos because of my SVT350T.. low power.. you never use it all unless you get either another head or cabinet.. I may as well start over. Advice appreciated. My first post and I thank you all for the reviews, posts, and love this site.

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    If you are loving the sound of the Sansamp, I don't think you could go wrong just adding a reliable power amp. Lots of people here seem to use that combination. Not sure that a homemade 15" is going to be enough though. Is it possible to use your Ampeg 2x10 as a cabinet? 2x10 + 1x15 is a very popular setup for club gigs. Your band sounds like a lot of fun; good luck!

3. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    Thank you for the reply.. I can use the 2x10 as a cabinet, yes, but the eq, from what I am reading, will act like chorus pedal. In other words, the EQ will always be there, according to the manual.

That is another debate.. the cabinet. I thought about 4x10.. 2x15.. people claim the 4x10 would have a bigger sound overall, but I am thinking 10s are just too bright. I welcome opinions regarding cabinets also, thank you.

And yes, the band is fun.. I enjoy playing stuff like Joan Jett, followed by Fly by Night.. the crowds really go crazy with those sorts of combinations.. add some Journey in there as well or James Brown.. we never know what to expect and tailor the setlist, within reason, to the crowds (how they look, dance, etc).

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I wouldn't say that 10s (or 12s, for that matter) are too bright. The associated tweeter might be and perhaps you can turn down the treble by EQing or turning the tweeter down on the cab. 10s and 12s will likely have more punch than a 15 though.

If you want a 1X15 solution I would suggest you look at Bag End.

5. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Get a poweramp to use with your RBI.For what you sell your Ampeg head for you can easily get a Carvin,Crown or QSC poweramp and have all the power you need.I've been using the RBI that way for 6 or 7 years with Crown and Carvin power amps and have as much or more power than the $1000+amps.The Carvin DCM1000 is a reliable,good sounding and versitile amp that also doesn't weigh a ton.Bridge it and you'll have 700 watts at 8 ohms and 1000 watts at 4 ohms.

There are 310-410 cabs that do get the low end.Peavey,Avatar,Dr Bass,Eden,Aguilar,Epifani,Mesa and more I can't think of right now.I've used the Peaveys,Edens and Dr Bass cabinets and all went low and still sounded good.My favorite is my DR Bass 310.This makes a killer little gigging rig. 123456.