Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advice needed: return or keep -- shipment miscarriage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soularis, Aug 6, 2003.

1. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Hey guys, I hope I'm not intruding with this thread but I need an advice from experienced people on my little problem. Here it goes...

I got the bass today, Geddy Lee Jazz, which I ordered from the Musician's Friend, however morrons at MF or Fender did not put anything between the strings and the fretboard and I guess because of some impact the first fret and its position marker have a dingy-scratch right under the A string and right in the middle of the block marker. It's not too big but neither is small and unnoticable, and because it was placed on the black position marker you can see the damn thing. :mad: Ummnmmmmmmmmmmm..... I don't know, am I being too picky or what? The bass is great, sounds awesome, very beautiful instrument and plays like crazy.... everything but this little piece of crap.

Now what would you guys do if something like that happens? Should I wait 30 days and then send it back or send it back right away? I'm kinda sick and tired of waiting and going 2 hours across the state just to try another Geddy at a GC. In the long run, I guess, this little thing won't bother me, but why a man can't get a f**ng break and get some discent shipment?!... Any comments would be highly appreciated since I don't have much time.... Thank you guys!

2. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Ship it back! You paid for a new GL Jazz Bass, right? You didn't get one, right?

3. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    well it is new, but carelessly packed.....

4. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Well, for me at least, new also implies 'mint condition'.

5. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I guess I'd talk to the dealer and see if they will repair for free or pay to have it repaired.If it plays good and feel good, I'd keep it. I might not be giving good advice, but my philosophy is, If I got my hands on it, ITS MINE!
    (Hmmm, that expensive and stupid... oh well.):meh:

6. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    hey, slowburnaz, thanks, I see your point.

that sh*t is not reparable, it's a finish you know, so they'll have to wax it or something. Yeah I thought it's mine too, but you know one would expect much more from a new instrument... damn it. :(

7. I agree! If you've paid for a new bass, you imply that it's defect, scratch, chip free.

Send it back...

you notice it now...so every time you look at it, you'll see it and remember.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i would send it back and say you want another one. no question.

9. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    if it plays good and the mark doesnt affect the sound/playability at all i think you should definitely keep it. i would.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Musician's Fiend has a bad rep for letting stuff out the door that isn't up to snuff. They're all about sales volume.

Obviously you're not happy. If they'd knock a few hundred off, since it is a blem, that's one option. Otherwise, MF should be the owner again, not you.

Maybe we'll see it in their "Scratch and Dent" specials one of these days.

11. If you bought it new, and got it like this, I would demand a completely perfect one. If I got it used, I woundld't care if half the paint was gouged off with a bowling ball, as long is it sounding and played good(and the price was low due to the sh***y finish). But yeah, send it back. Make a scene, demand 200 bagels be sent to your house once a month for the next 3 minutes!!!! Wow, that was off topic.

12. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Hey guys, thanks for your comments. I'm more and more inclining toward sending it back with a f**ng USPS tomorrow morning. The thing about it is that I was actually shocked at how bad the packaging is... It has this stupid nylon cover wrapped around the bass and that's it. Of course it's gonna get scratched like that if you are sending the damn thing across the country! After eating Ramen noodles for a month just to save up money you would expect at least a proper packaging, man, I can do a better job packing the thing! What a bummer, man. Another thing that was kind of a shock is that the MF, they don't give a damn if it's a bass or bunch of books, I mean if you're selling a 629$ instrument can't you at least put a 1 cent cover around the fretboard? Also, Geddy is cool bass but I've seen three damaged basses in a row already, I guess I'll just have to wait until I find a better instrument to upgrade to, in the meantime my Ibanez will stay with me. Any other comments would be highly appreciated, thank you guys, you are the best!

13. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yeah, I know. You paid for something and you expect it to be as it should be; they would definately give you hell if something was wrong with your money. And really, you should send it back if you not happy with it. I know I would... if its wasn't a bass. I know when I'm gonna buy a bass before I touch. It calls to me; it says " Buy me! Touch me... Love Me! I'm yours! Take me ..." ....ah, hmm. Ah, never mind. Goodnight.

14. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    On principle alone, it must go back.

15. My Epi AlleyKat came from MF with a finish scratch and I called them up and they knocked $50 off and I said OK. Otherwise the axe is choice and I'm glad I kept it, but if you are patient to wait for another one and able to stand the vexation if the next one has a problem too, then send it the heck back. They will issue a call tag, so you don't have to pay UPS and they will ship the new one at their expense.

16. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Hey, Rick, did they ask you for some kind of confirmation of the damage? That's a good point, didn't come to my mind, I might give them a call again. Thanks for the input.

17. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Eh, I dunno........If it sounds and plays that well, I'd probably keep it, but I'd try to get MF to compensate me for the damages in the form of $$$ or merchandise.

Yeah, they can send you another Geddy Jazz, but it will be a different piece of wood, ya know? It may be as good as the one you've got, maybe not. There are many, many tales on this site from people who regret letting go of a certain bass and have never found its equal.

If it's really good, you're gonna play that thing to death and it's gonna get more battle scars anyway. But I'd definitely lean on Musician's Friend for some compensation just on principle. They should have done better.

18. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    BruceWane, thanks man. Yeah it plays awesome, notes are just popping out of the bass. But... to tell you the truth the so praised Japanese "craftsmanship", well, to put it nicely, is so sloppy. Like you know the tuners have this some kind of corrupted layer on them, so poorly made. The fretboard has lotsa little finishing dots, looks like somebody was high or something when making it. I don't mind all this, but that scratch was the last drop I think. I'll give MF a call just to see what they'll say, if not, well, it was an experience. Life goes on. Thanks everybody.

19. Don't settle for anything less than perfect when paying full price. A new product is supposed to be free of defects.

On the other hand I'm selling my Geddy Lee. Its in mint condition just as I bought it. And its up in the for sale forum. $500.:D

I know...shameless plug:rolleyes:

20. They took my word for it straight off without question.