1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice needed:stingray,Bongo,or 60th anniversary pbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crabby, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Hey folks. I know these types of questions may seem too subjective but I have an opportunity to purchase a pro quality bass and this is the last opportunity like it I can see in the the future for as long time.

I currently own a Yamaha 5 string (BB series) with an OBP3 and a MIM Jazz with a BADASSII

This next one will be my "high end" bass and I've narrowed it down to these:

Stingray 4 or 5 with either 1 or 2 humbuckers
    Bongo 4 or 5 with either 1 or 2 humbuckers
    60th anniversary P bass
    Warrwick Corvette standard 5 or possibly 6 string.

As I have a pretty nice Jazz already (its actually a sweet bass for MIM), and my 5 string is quite good for a "budget" bass, I am torn as to the next one either being a 4 or 5 string. The P bass looks very appealing but will be similar to the Jazz. I have always wanted a Stingray but cant decide on a 4 or 5. The Bongo also looks really appealing.

Keep in mind I am a leftie so I have to special order any of these and cant try them out first. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated as I have to make up my mind soon and cant actually try any of these basses first. Thanks,

Crabby

2. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    beyond 4 or 5, think about whether you want the bass to be modern vs. old school, growly vs. thumpy, flexible/complex vs. simple.

The p-bass is a classic, great bass, but it you've got to want what it will give you - great old school sound. The Bongo is super flexible, and sounds great. I've got a Stingray 5 that I love, but it's got a unique punchy sound. I hear the 2-pickup rays are awesome -- that's probably what I would do (but that's me!)

Warwicks have a very different neck (flatter fingerboard, thicker), but also a great growl. Very different feel than the rest...!

Hope that helps! These are all good basses.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would go with an HH or H SC (single coil) Stingray 5. :) So versatile, so great.

4. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Thanks, I likely wont go with a Warrwick as its too much of an unknown. Is the quality of a Bongo considered any less than that of a Stingray? Also is there any down side to adding the second humbucker? I've read that some people find the bass hard to slap with two humbuckers and I wonder if the Bridge pickup is still in the same spot as on the single version.

Are there any down sides to the SR5 as opposed to the SR4? Sorry for all the questions but I onlyget to do this once.

Crabby

5. Personally? - a P or stingray...

OR

You could get one of these...

(never played one...but I read that the ASAT is supposed to be able to sound like both a precision AND stingray...)

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, you can cross the dual pickup Stingrays off of your list--they aren't available lefty.

And, honestly, since you are considering 4, 5 or 6 strings with any number of pickup, you're going to get as many recommendations as you have basses listed.

Good luck!

7. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Thats a bummer about the two pickup option with Musicman. Lefties always get the shaft!

Well its down to the Pbass, SR4 or SR5. At least I have been able to narrow it down somewhat. Any further opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys,

Crabby

8. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    You can still get the Bongo in lefty though.

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, just because they don't offer them now doesn't mean they won't offer them in the future. It took about 2 years for there to be lefty Bongos available. I doubt it will take that long for the 2 pickup Stingrays, but consider the percentage of rightys vs leftys and it makes sense that they tool up one before the other.

Buck up--get a dual pickup Bongo. It's the most versatile of any of the basses you mentioned.

10. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    plus one

11. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    To no one's surprise, I think he's right.

Jack