1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice needed: upgrade the ibby or...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bearclaw87, May 25, 2012.

1. bearclaw87

bearclaw87

Mar 9, 2010
    Advice needed my fellow TBers. I find myself in a fortunate situation where the wife has allowed to to splash a few extra hundreds on basses!

I'm thinking of upgrading the pickups on my Ibanez SR605 to SGD pickups. Is it worth the upgrade? Can the Ibby really sound that different with a pickup upgrade?

My other options are selling the Ibby and buying a Warwick pro series corvette (which will stretch my budget), or buying a jazz bass, which I am GAS-sing for at the moment.

I play mainly in P&W settings, the main thing I want is to cut thru the band mix easily without too much tweaking.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

2. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    A few years ago, I took home a gorgeous German Corvette and dropped in a Bartolini system (pickups and preamp) after getting it. I play in a cover band and one of our guitar players at the time was blown away by that bass - loved the woods and design, liked to noodle around on it here and there, etc. If he had the spare dough, I'm sure he would have eventually wanted to buy it from me.

Well, two problems came along that I only figured out after giving that bass a home. First, it had serious neck dive by design. The upper horn on them Corvettes is short. If you haven't played one on a strap for a good 15-20 minutes, you'd be smart to try that before buying one for yourself. They're wonderful when playing seated, but that's not the way most of us do it at our gigs.

The second problem with that bass was that it sounded smooth as butter, but only when I played it by itself at home. It didn't cut through and even that guitar player I mentioned agreed on that point. If you want one, give it some up-close-and-personal scrutiny first.

As for different pickups, I'd say that unless you're sure that the current ones you have are really weak, you may not get any more that a subtle difference from your rig if you do a swap. Changing electronics is a tricky call, but I believe that pickups won't create something that just isn't there in terms of the instrument's fundamental sound. Maybe answering that GAS will make you a happy cat.