Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice needed - used Sadowsky or Lakland Joe Osborn

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tworock, Mar 27, 2003.

1. tworock

tworock

Mar 10, 2003
    I'm looking for a high quality Jazz style bass, and I have found a couple of used basses that I am intereted in. One is a Sadowsky Jazz style with P/J pickup config for $2050 (LPB), the other is a Lakland Joe Osborn for $1650 (CAR). They are both like new. Unfortunately, I am unable to play either one. So, I thought I would ask the pros. Any thoughts??

Thanks

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Both are great basses! I've played a few of both. each has its own strengths. you really should try them out if possible. there are nuances that differentiate them, although they look like the same style bass.

If you're not looking for the top-of-the-line kind of bass, and would consider a quality bass with great tone. Check out a lower priced Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn. For the price (close to $1,000 for a new 5 string), this bass sounds great and has excellent playability! if you're looking for that jazz bass vibe, this is it at an affordable price. do a search of this forum for skyline and you find that the comments are overall positive.

As you probably are aware, PJs have a slightly different tone than a jazz bass. only you can decide which one is more preferable to your ears.

3. As much as I love Sadowsky, a PJ will not give you the classic jazz bass tones. I have two Sadowsky basses, both 4 string:

JJ, swamp ash body, maple 'board
    PJ, alder body, rosewood 'board

They sound very different. However, it shouldn't be too hard to find a used Sadowsky Jazz bass if you give yourself some time (weeks). I think they are THE last word in jazz basses!

4. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I absolutely agree with Jim, as I have both Sadowsky P/J and J/J they sound differently.
    To my ear my Sadowsky P/J 4 is more like Fbass BN4.
    By the way yesterday I received Sadowsky P/J 4 , Fbass BN 4 and Alain Caron 6 at the same day, and next Monday I will receive Sadowsky Tokyo RJ 4 and RS guitar:D , just too many basses at the same time. I will post a thread after taking picture of them.

5. Does the Swami still have both of these basses? The only reason I ask is because sometimes it takes Bob a while to remove basses he's sold from his website. Bernie brought that CAR JO to the show in Auburn MA a couple weeks ago and it's a beautiful bass.

6. tworock

tworock

Mar 10, 2003
    Thanks for your responses. I think Bass Palace still has both. The Lakland sure does look sweet. I had a chance to play a JO Skyline along side a USA JO. I thought the USA JO just felt better. Maybe it was the weight difference, I'm not sure.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  8. tworock

tworock

Mar 10, 2003
    If that was a 4 string, I'd be all over it!