Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doublestop, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Hey, can you experts give me some advice please on what combo or rig to buy.....

I have been playing (electric) guitar for 25 years, I know my stuff when it's about guitar amps, but am new to bass. I have bought a nice G&L Tribute L-2000, and look for a good combo or head+box. Please advice me on what to buy. I'm open to both new and used.

These are my demands:

* suited for Top-40 / rock / allround
    * I play fingerstyle
    * for jamsessions / rehearsals / small gigs (in the future) with a drummer, keyboard and a guitarplayer
    * I like LOW notes, the bass should have a good, solid, warm LOW sound, yet not mushy and undefined... (!)
    * portability is a pro. A 8 x 10 would be too much....I was thinking 1 x 15 neo, maybe ?

Edit: extra question: will a 2 x 12 be a good compromise of deep lows, definition and portability ?

Reactions please.

Thanks,

Peter

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    how much can you spend?? see combo suggestions here The Yorkville XM50 is probably better just at home, but I've heard the xm50 and the xm100 and WOW! I've spend 5 years and probably about $8000 building a nice rig (including the ones that didn't stay) and not often impressed with combos lately(I prefer separates), but the XM100 is pretty cool, loud, and nice price!!

as far as separates I'm also biased :D I love the aguilar gs112 (1x12) bass cabs. Light, rich tone, reasonable price. some people prefer greater bargains and Avatar cabs come highly recommended for the price (500w 1x12 for $250!)

I love tech 21 bass preamp, cab, and heads. not crazy about their 112 combo. their 300w head has great tone, but seems under powered (preamp sensitvity?) I think their GUITAR stuff is really good too!!! check out the GT2 pedal (look under "sansamp" section) or the trademark 60 combo. I

stewart power amps are cool. Light, high power, cheap? for the amount of power you get?

wow, I'm talkative this morning!

3. Give or take $ 1000 / E 900

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    There are alot of choices in that price range. Me personaly, I prefer pre-Gibson Trace Elliot heads w/the GP12smx preamp. Unfortunately, that equipment is getting older and still commands a pretty nice price tag. Ashdown makes a nice combo thats 300 watts w/410. You can also get their MAG300 head and a 1x15 cab (my choice!). Both setups sell for right about $600. You could later add another 1x15 or 4x10 setup and still be around $1000. Ofcourse, this is going on what I like. I have played through most of the major brands and it pretty much comes down to what you like and what your willing to spend. Just remember, you need alot more wattage for bass than guitar. I would recommend a minimum off 300watts. Good luck.

5. Superfly7044

Superfly7044

Jun 19, 2004
    I agree with the power aspect of things. I would actually try and go 350W or more. The GK 400rb through 410 cab is nice and reliable.

6. Thanks guys, you are very helpfull.

Keep 'm coming.

For guitar, I prefer low powered all tube combos.....

....but I'm more than willing to go solid state for my bass amp.

Question: I don't like solid state for guitars. Sterile. But I understand that for bass, you CAN get a warm tone out of a solid state amp, right? If that is the case I'd prefer solid state: lighter, cheaper, less maintance...

Thanks in advance. Peter

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Check out the guy on BassGear.com selling an EA Wizzy Combo AND the powered extension cab for around $1,100 total. That's 200w into each cab, and the iAMP 200 head has a ton of EQ flexibility for darn near any tone you'd like.