advice needed!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by pappabass, Jul 22, 2018.

1. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    Guys, I need some advice on a powered portable mixer 6-8 channels and speakers, 10-12" size. We have a small system, we are looking for something lighter for us old guys to move, mixer sounds bad. So what brand/model do you guys suggest?

2. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Hartsdale, NY
    Budget?

3. We use presonus...pricey but worth every penny. A top and sub together are about the size of our old tops and the weight of a top and sub together is probably about half of an old top. Plus killer sound, just killer.

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I use a Yamaha passive mixer with a couple Behringer powered tops. Most powered speakers are bi-amp'd and sound significantly better than passive ones - and aren't much heavier. A Behringer B210D weighs 19 lbs.

5. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    Thanks, we play a very small venue, just, bass, guitar, violin, 2 voices. Budget, under 1000. We have mics, stands, cables etc.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I’m a QSC guy. My band in it’s acoustic trio form will occasionally put a single K12 behind us, up high and tilted down. The room stuffs us in a corner. I put one more on the floor as bass amp. Used K12’s are around $500. I would do that and then add a decent passive mixer from Yamaha, Mackie, A&H, Soundcraft. There is a ton of decent used stuff like that available in the used market.

I know it sounds strange but 2 speakers is not always better than one...

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If you want to stay with a powered mixer, find an old used Soundcraft Gigrac ST-1000. I have one in my rental pool and it seems unstoppable. Has line outs so it will Driver powered speakers as well as passive.

Watch Craigslist for passive speakers. I see decent EV, JBL, Bag End stuff all the time. If you look at JBL do some model research. They have done some bad stuff over the years as well,as some very good stuff. The lower end stuff is strictly avoid. They did a passive PRX 12 and horn which wasn’t bad.

8. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    For $1000 I'll go Behringer XR12 for mixer, EV ZLX12P for top and EV ZXA sub. I'll go even further by selling my bass amp to finance a better sub and a second ZLX12P.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021