Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice needed...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jeffdz, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Jeffdz

Jeffdz

Nov 12, 2004
    Hi all, here is my problem...Sorry for the rambling...
    I play bass in a 4 piece southern rock/country rock band. We gig on the average 4 times a month and walk away with $100 each per gig. We have 8 original songs along with about 40 covers. We have a great sound, and I really like playing with these guys (we began jamming around 1990, but didn't make a real band that played gigs until a year and a half ago. We would all love to make a living doing just this, but we all have full time jobs, families, etc, and are content.
    Now the conflict. We have a prime slot (Saturday afternoon) to play a two hour set at a very large biker rally in Texas on November 5th. More than 250,000 people attended this event last year, and although we aren't getting paid, it is going to be an awesome gig, with a large stage, lights, thousands of people, etc. Basically something that we have all been dreaming of since we were teenagers...playing a real concert, where we rock out for two hours and blow everyone away.
    Well, the concert was rescheduled for Nov 5th due to a hurricane that came through and now that date conflicts with opening day of deer hunting season. Well, our lead singer and drummer are going hunting now instead of playing the gig, and refuse to budge. It's not going to happen unless I can find another singer/lead guitar player and drummer, and then learn enough songs to fill 2 hours.
    I don't know what to do. Do I quit due to the lack of commitment to the band? Do I let it go, since I enjoy playing in this band? I like what we do...play a few gigs a month, make some spending money, hang out with friends. If I am going to quit, do I finish out the three gigs we have left in October or split now? I feel this gig could very well be a once in a lifetime thing. I don't really want to give up on the band, but I need to let them know that there actions don't give me a whole lot of confidence in what we are doing.
    Thanks for the advice,
    JD

2. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    biker rally...250,000 people.....your not getting paid....

F*%K THAT...seriously dont be a mug..if you play you get paid ...simple as that...(if there are 250,000 people goin to the gig you can be sure the promoter is earning a small fortune for that)

If this is a freebie where's the incentive for the rest of the guys in the band to do this?

(and please dont say "for the experience")

your being shafted

3. Tingly

Tingly

Jul 16, 2005
    Yonkers, NY
    Yeah, playing free at such a large event, even if there aren't 250,000 at your particular concert, doesn't sound right. Someone's making some cash somewhere -- other than you!

But, aside from that, I mean, I know hunting is huge for some people and it's best to get out on the first day (before the animals know what the @#$% hit them), but I don't think there is any comparison. I'd play the music.

1. Opening day comes every year. You said your band has been waiting for a musical opportunity like this, for years.

2. They refuse to delay their hunt, by a day? Why can't they make the gig, and then go hunting?

3. They already made a commitment. That should include one reasonable postponement, due to legit, unforeseen circumstances, when there is no conflicting contract with another venue.

4. You describe a pretty professional situation, averaging $4,800 a year, per member. They may unintentionally injure your band's hard earned reputation, by defaulting on the obligation.

These guys will always be running out on you, each hunting season, or for some other (silly, to me) reason. It's bull----. I'd be out of that band in a New York minute.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    It's hard to call without knowing how far away the gig is but...I'm guessing it's the lonestar rally in galveston....having played about a zillion of those bike gigs in Daytona myself....

The TOTAL attendance of the entire event MAY be 250,000.

5,000 at any one place at the same time would be spectacular.

1,000 would be good...500 would be what you can expect reasonably.

So....would I drive to Texas to do a freebie for 500 people?

No.

Would I stress my relationship with a band I was happy with over a missed ego stroke?

No.

Relax. I've played Daytona Bike Week and Biketoberfest, 15 shows, every year for the last 20 years and Sturgis twice. Got paid GOOD money for every show. It ain't all that big of a deal and I dang sure wouldn't do it for free. None of the other bands did either. Those gigs are cash cows just like New Years Eve gigs.

You go down there FOR FREE and you're eating someone elses lunch.

Another thing you may want to consider...those gigs under the best of conditions are a logistical nightmare in regard to food, housing, parking, traffic, weather...everything.
    Given the damage done to Galvestons infrastructure by the hurricane...

I think I would choose to go hunting myself.....and I don't hunt.