Advice needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wasim, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Wasim

Dec 10, 2004
    'ello, been a while since i've posted here but i need some advice

I've been playing for about a year now, and my Mexican Fender P-bass has done the job very well. Now i'm looking to upgrade to a bass with more frets (mine has 20, i'd like 24) and a thinner neck. My limit is $600

anyone got any advice, at least about what brands/models i should look at or steer clear of? Thanks very much in advance

Oh i suppose i should mention what type of music i play... mostly rock and funk, and err whatever category Peter Hook falls under!
  2. if you can spend $100 more(699 I think), then you can get fender MIK jazz 24
    which has thinner neck and 24 fret
  3. Definately have a look at the Ibanez Soundgear series. They have great necks and often have 24 frets. They come in a wide variety of styles and prices. Have a look in the used market as well and don't let go of your Fender.
  4. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I suggest going for something used.
  5. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL

Although I don't have an Ibanez, they would make a great choice for what you are looking for. I also like Yamahas a lot for that price range.

Just make sure you try before you buy. Play it for awhile, strap it on, feel the balance and the weight in your shoulder, check for quality fretwork and have the store adjust it to your liking. . .

now, if you are buying sight unseen, then again, go for Ibanez or Yamaha -- most likely you won't go wrong with those.
  6. Wasim

Dec 10, 2004
    Thanks all

You say i shouldnt let go of my Fender, any reason why? Only the money i could get from selling it would give me more to spend on a new one. To be honest I really like it, but the lack of frets and the difficulty in getting my fingers to the really high notes (because of the size of the neck) are my only complaints.