advice needed

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by iron_man, Jan 11, 2006.

1. iron_man

Jan 11, 2006
    hey, i jsut started playing bass a little while ago and i was wondering if any1 had any tips on learning songs and writing music.:help:
  2. brassed

Jan 3, 2006
    To learn songs, find a song you are interested in (a tv theme song or something simple) and try to figure it out by ear. If you are looking for a harder song, do all you can to figure out the key and stuff then look up tabs for it. Very important: Listen to the songs while trying out the tabs, there are alot of crappy tabs out there. My room mate and I sit down at nite and play along with adult swim music and commercials (vonage commercials kick ass)

Learn your scales and basic theory. Apply what you have learned from the songs that you figured out.
  3. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    First of all, you play a bass, not lay it. Laying a bass can help develop a relationship (love and/or hate), but to make music, the instrument must be played.
  4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Basically, stick on a CD of a tune you know well and learn to sing the bass line, or the melody line or whatever part it is you want to learn.
    Once you can sing it, pick up your bass and find the first note... then the second.. then the third... and so on. This might take trying all twelve notes for each note of the part you're learning, that's fine, it will quicker and easier the more you do it.

Tabs are crap. They dont contain any rhythmic notation which is vital for a rhythm section instrument like bass. You canmt learn a piece of music frmo tab, you have to listen to the CD as well, so why not just learn the whole lot be ear.

If you want to learn a song, do it by ear, that's the most musical way to learn music, IMO. :)
  5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    I get your point, and personally I always prefer to hear music if I'm going to play it, because I dont read well at all, but I still believe tab is rubbish. If you are starting out you are far better off learning by ear and/or using notation.

It is completely possible to interpret and perform a piece from music from a sheet with no recordings to go from. You cannot do that from tab, at all.

Is that four crochets? Two quavers, a crochet and a minim? Tab is not even a notation, it's a diagram of 'where to put your fingers'.

Of course the dots are only an approximation of the feel of any piece of music, just as words are on a page, but in the same way as you interpret the words on a page to mean something to you, you do the same with written music.
    I'm learning to read music now, slowly, and most of what I learn is the melodies to jazz tunes. I think this a perfect example, the notation doesnt detail swing, I have to interpret it, but at least the placement of the notes in bar is given :)

Tb s lk wrtng wtht ny vwls r pncttn sm wds cnt b rd s esly
  6. It's not hard to learn songs you like from TABs. I agree with Tim99 to start with easy songs. Eventually you will have bass lines that are interesting to you, stored in your head. This will lead to you being able to write your own interesting bass lines.