1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice on 2x12 cab build

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Colledge123, May 13, 2010.

1. i'm a newb to cab building as a whole but i have plenty of experience with ye olde ply, so the building aspect shouldnt be a problem. The hurdle i have to get over is design and specs, i've used the search function as much as i could but couldn't find any decent info. I'm not after a completely flat response (just want to cut through well) and my budget is pretty low so i don't think i should go for a fearful cab.

i'm by no means it illitirate, but i'm running win7 in parallels to run winISD and i just can't seem to make any sense of any of it.
    The speakers i'm looking at are the [URL="http://professional.celestion.com/bass/orange/index.asp]celesteon bn12-300s[/URL] because the specs seem perfect for me and the price is right.

and help/info/advice is greatly appreciated

2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Although the fEarful's are excellent designs, you don't want to do those...might I suggest working up a 2x12 design based on the ElectroVoice TL806 1x12 box?

http://boreas.telex.com/archives/EV/Builders Plans/TL806 Builders Plans.pdf

You could adapt the port size and relevant volume to use the Eminence Kappalite 3012, and incorporate the fEarful philosophy of using 1/2" ply and added bracing to lower the weight.

...pretty much what I did with my 2x15 build.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Those drivers are actually quite poorly spec'd for electric bass. If you don't have design chops you're far better off going with a design like the fEarful, where all the legwork has already been done for you.

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Stuffing two Deltalite 2512 IIs in a box roughly copied off of the Genz Neox212T design would be how I would roll if I wasn't doing a fEarful.