Advice on $400 or less cab purchase...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White_Knight, Mar 11, 2004.

1. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Hey all, I finally sprung for it and got an ART SLA-1. Mainly plan to use it for home theater and such, but it's bridgable into 260 watts (8ohms) and sounds so good. So I figure why not get some extra mileage out of it as a bass power amp, ya know? (Using a rackmount EQ, mixer, and direct box to round out the rig).

So here's my delimea. I have set aside $400 for a good speaker cabinent. In general, I play large rooms (think church auditorium) with from 50 to 500 people. So far, my Crate BX-100 (100 watts) has had enough of power for what I want to do. I'm looking for sort of the old school Ampeg tone in a sense, I guess, maybe think of the tone of a Crate BX-100, but with more clarity and deeper bass if that helps any.

So I'm needing cabinent reccommendations. I've read all the reviews that I can find, but I'm looking for as much real world info here as I can find.

I see that I can get a Hartke 2.5XL or a Hartke 115BXL from American Musical for $299 each. Any opinions on those specific cabinents? I see that they have good bass response, but it doesn't list the +/- of the response, so I'm wondering if it's at something ridiculous like -10db.

Looks like I could also get a Peavey 115 BVX in that price range. At the top end of my price range are the Ampeg 115 and the Aguilar 112. I did notice that I can get offerings from both Fender and SWR in that range, but the specs of the Fender Bassman 115 and the Workingman's 115 don't impress me too much as far as the low end is concerned.

Any suggestions to sort through these cabinents? I was leaning somewhat towards the Hartke 2.5XL since it seems to have very deep bass response (35hz), but at the same time, am I gonna lose some of my oomph by going with 10's instead of the 15" that I am used to? For that matter, does anyone have solid frequency response specs on a Crate BX-100 (perhaps the Crate really doesn't go all that low anyways and this is kind of a mute issue? Afterall I'm pretty satisfied with it's sound). Any advice is appreciated and sorry for the long thread.
  2. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    A lot of people around here reccomend Avatar. I took their advice last year and I couldn't be happier.
  3. I just got an Avatar B410 with casters shipped to my door for a total of $390. I'm stoked it's a killer cab!
  4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Definetly Avatar! I've got an SWR Goliath III and Jr. III and I'd rate the Avatar right up there with them. IMO you don't make any compromises in quality workmanship or sound with Avatar. :bassist:
  5. Get the avatar, you'll be surprised

6. ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    Get the Aguilar - from what you said it seems that you don't need anything big, and there's no need to compromise (puts on asbesto suit) quality and buy an avatar .
  7. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I will admit...the Aguliar is looking very good to me right now. Have you (or anyone else reading this) played the Aguliar 12? How is it in the low bass department? I noticed that the specs look good, and the cabinent is light - but specs don't necessarily tell the entire story, ya know?

Speaking of weight...I noticed that the Peavey's weight is ridiculous, so I think I'm gonna take that one out of the running.

Anyone have any experience with a SWR WM15 cabinent or an Ampeg (B-Series or Classic) 15" enclosure? I've also heard that Hartke gear has a particular "sound" because of the aluminium speakers - is that one of those things where I will just need to go play stuff from Hartke to understand what that is?
  8. ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    The Aguilar 12 is incredible in the low and low mid department, as well as having a great tweeter. If you're looking for lows you won't be disappointed.
  9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Where did I put that flame thrower?!?
    Just kidding!
    Seriously though, I paid a total of $436 delivered for TWO Avatar SB112's. Just a little more than what you'd pay for one USED Aguilar 112. My other current cabinets are SWR's (Goliath III and Jr III). I've also owned Bergantino & GK. The Berg's tweeter is smoother but that was only audible when I soloed in my music room at home. I actually think that the sound of the SB-112's has more defined low end than the SWR Goliath. Don't hear what I'm not saying! I love my SWR cabinets and I loved my Berg. But I also love my Avatars. IMO the only compromise that you'd be making buying the Avatar is that you wouldn't be putting as much money into the economy (unless you buy two Avatars)! :D
  10. hey i would also recommen avatar!! or you could buy my cabinet from me. I am serious pm me if interested.
  11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The Ag GS112 is a bit shy in both punch and midrange clarity.
    The GS112 combined with a GS210 is very good sounding.

Check out the Avatar B212 w/Delta drivers.
  12. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i got my Bergantino HT112 used for $400 with cover.

perf cond.

my favorite cab STILL!!!!!!!!!