Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on 5 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rbbonfire, Apr 15, 2004.

1. rbbonfire

rbbonfire

Jan 20, 2004
    My 13 year od daughter, who has become a pretty talented young bass player, is looking to add a moderately priced new or used 5 string to her bass collection. Because of her size, she prefers a shorter and narrower neck. We would appreciate any input anyone might have regarding what models might work best for her. Thanks in advance for your help.

rb

2. rbbonfire

rbbonfire

Jan 20, 2004
    She doesn't have the money saved for something really nice. She is looking for something less than $700. Thanks

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Cort Curbows have very sleek, slim necks. They're 34" scale, but they're VERY playable. I'd thoroughly reccomend one. New, they're about $400, I think, though I'm rather sure they're less.

Very good instruments.

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Spector's NS series is under that price range, I believe. Light, fast neck, and hey- it's a Spector! :bassist:

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    But it's 35" scale.

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Maybe a G&L Tribute L-2500??

7. rbbonfire

rbbonfire

Jan 20, 2004
    Thanks. She kind of likes the idea of the Tribute 2500, although we haven't been able to find one in Nashville.

RB

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i have a spector ns2000 q5 and really like it. Neck isnt fat.

Also check Godin SD5's. Go on ebay for around $450 new, less for used. I have an SD4 and love it. You can get a Godin Freeway 5 new for around $475 i belive. www.godinguitars.com

9. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Check out www.musicyo.com
    I know that they have several models of Tobias and Kramer and Steinberger in your price range. I do know that the nut width on the Steinbergers is really pretty narrow for a 5'er.
    Good luck.

10. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Since you live in nashville, pm me. I love to go bass shopping! Click on my name and send me a private message. I can think of a couple of really good stores that are right up your ally in the nashville area. Plus some good brands which are hard to find elsewhere.

11. I second the G&L tribute L2500, I have a US L2000 and love it, my friend bought a tribute L2000 and we did a comparison of the two and they are very close. only a few minor differences that most folks would not notice.

12. I've been trying out a lot of 5 strings recently.

I would suggest looking at an ESP - they do a more traditional bass design as well as the stuff aimed at metal-heads.
    The string spacing is pretty narrow which is why I didn't go for one, in fact the whole thing _felt_ narrower than my 4 string!

The model I tried was also very light and the build quality is surprisingly good even though Korean...

I tried a LTD Standard C series but this had a 35" scale

Taking a look at the latest models on the US web site www.espguitars.com the LTD Standard B series 5 strings are all 34" scale....

definietly worth a look

13. rbbonfire

rbbonfire

Jan 20, 2004
    Does anyone make a 5 string that has a scale shorter than 34"?

14. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    fender, musicman, warwick.... i also recomend a standar jazz v from fender MIM, its heavy but it's got a slim neck an 34" scale and they are unexpensive and have good quality for its range of price

15. For $700, your daughter can get quite a nice bass.

I have to second what Josh W. said about Yamaha; they are hard to beat for value in any price range. I have a Yamaha BBN5 II, which was $400 brand new. It's basically a Yamaha jazz bass, and it would be in the same quality category as the MIM (made in Mexico) Fender basses. They don't make this particular model anymore, but the BB405 (about $399) and the BB604 (about $499) are almost exactly the same. I have played the BB405, and it seems to play and sound just like my bass.

If you wanted to spend closer to $700, one bass I own and highly recommend is this one: http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=EDA905 It is a bit odd looking, but it's very light and has a small body which makes it extremely comfortable to play. Its body is made out of Luthite, which I believe is some form of plastic, but it has a very good tone. Comfort is this bass' strongest feature.

Along with Musicyo, you should check out Musiciansfriend.com and American Musical Supply.com

Good luck in your search.

Mike :)

16. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I'd reccommend sitcking to standard scale length. She may regret it later if she plans to resale or decides to switch back to standard. Most people's problems with longer scale length or wider neck can sometimes be lack of proper technique.

I've played a G&L tribute in nashville and there WAS a difference in feel and sound compared to a USA model. The tribute was not near as good as some other basses in its price range or cheaper for that matter. If she wants a thinner neck profile (which will make more of a difference in comfort IMO) then G&L is a bad choice because it is one of the thicker necks. I'd say she really needs to shop around for other brands in standard scale length with a thin neck profile. Finding a short scale 5 string will be pretty dang tough in nashville since I have never seen one. There are some smaller scale 4 strings though, but like I said some other things will come into play in comfort also. Feel free to send me a private message for more details or questions.

BTW Yamaha is an excellent choice

17. ddayseb

ddayseb

Mar 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I might also suggest G&L's old L-5000, which is a five-string with one z-coil pickup in the precision spot (not to be confused with the 5500, which has a pair of EMG's). The lore is that Leo just spaced five strings to fit on a four string neck, so it's kind of a regular old' big p-bass neck with five strings spaced unusually tightly. I think they run for around 500. Maybe not the right thing, but probably worth looking at if you can find one.