Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice On A Bass Rig (Help!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Secthdaemon, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Hi all, First post after lurking around in the shadows for a while..

Anyway I'll cut to the chase, so here is my problem...

I'm in a metal band and I'm using a Laney R4 Combo which runs at 300 watts RMS I believe, Which is then DI'd into our 1500 watt PA system.

It's served me well and all, but we are starting to play in larger venues, and I need "strong backline" and well..not a combo..I need something louder really.. (Having two guitarists through Peavey 5150 MKII head and cabs disables me hearing my Laney Combo completely)

I have my eyes set on Ampeg's gear and I'm not quite sure exactly what I need, I don't understand which Cabinet can handle which Head etc..

I'd (according to several bass playing friends) would need about 600-700 watts...so could you guys give me some on advice on what I would need?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

2. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Right now I'm using an Ampeg SVP-Pro into an rmx 850 powering an Ampeg 6x10. I've never had a problem with a lack of stage volume (more often have problems with too much ;) ) and I am completely satisfied with my tone. I purchased the pre and the cab used. I have less than $1000 in my rig and am completely happy with it.

3. What wattage does that run at?

4. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    CS has a rig much like one I'm working on getting (waiting for good prices).

The RMX 850 runs at 800 (or 830, can't remember) watts at 4 ohms, which is what the ampeg 6x10 cab runs at.

If you play your cards right, you can get a solid Ampeg rig for less than a grand if you go pre/power and used.

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I like that idea. Pre-power is totally the way to go, if you ask me.

830Watts is gonna be plenty probably, unless your in an extreme situation (like an outdoor show, or a REALLY big indoor place with no PA). But even then, you wouldnt be in any big trouble.

For cabs, I'm assuming your just going to want one cabinet. for larger gigs, it sucks having to make more trips... for anything. A nice hybrid between power and weight would suit you well.... and I think the 610 is just that.

Of course there's the good ol Ampeg 4Pro and 8x10... but each component has its flaws. The 8x10 being its gargantuan size (well... weight really) and the 4Pro being its price for the power (despite an swell sound).

Going brand new here.... you could land a QSC RMX 850 for $300... an Ampeg SVT610 for $800 or so... and an Ampeg preamp of your choice for $500. $1600, give or take...

The 4Pro and 8x10 would cost you a good $2200, if your lucky.

So... your financial situation aside... its easier to change your tone with a pre-power setup. If your not swimming in cash as of now, maybe you could start smaller and build a rig slowly, with 2 cabs (which again... I dont suggest).

Another possibility is the Ampeg PRO410 Hlf. I've heard people RAVE about that speaker cabs range. Same power handling. It'd probably give you superior low-end to the 610, and I think it'd be lighter. Price, anyone????

I've just started to build up my own power situation. 450W going into an Ampeg 4x10 and 450W going into a 1x15. That's probably as much power as I'm ever gonna need, and it only cost me $400 for the QSC. But I'll tell you... two cabs is a biznatch, if you end up needing them both (which I have before), unless they're both really light. I guess you could achieve that with another brand... but I mean... your guitarists have 5150's and your in a Metal band. Just errect a decent tower of Ampeg. ;)

If you want a more precise suggestion, you should probably indicate your desired type of sound and what kind of cash reservoir you have to work with.

...... although I gotta say.... csholtmeier's rig is VERY straightforward, powerful, and affordable.

6. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    First question...

1.) What's the budget?
    2.) Are you opposed to buying used?
    3.) What brands are available for you to listen to in local stores? Did you immediately think of Ampeg because you like the way they sound or because most bassist think of Ampeg as a generic bass amp manufacturer.

I usually go for versatillity, buying multiple cabs to fit the ocassion. For example, I have Aguilar Cabs. I have one GS112 for a Coffee House to really small club, I have two GS112's to a small-medium size Club. And I have a GS410 for larger venues. And for the largest venues I play + outdoor gigs, I play two GS112's and a GS410. I'm thinking of eventually getting another GS410 as well. But I don't have any trouble competing with two Marshall JCM2000 TSL's on each side of me, so...keep that in mind. I play in a pop/punk rock band too...They like the crunch :bassist:

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Aggies and Metal? :eyebrow: Eh.... why not? :cool:

8. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't know how well it would work for metal, but for Punk/Pop Rock, not to mention "Emo", Hard Rock and stuff like that it's worked out great. Chris Channey from Janes addiction (not to mention several other popular bands) uses more Aguilar stuff than I could dream. Matt Rubano from Taking back Sunday sports a DB750 and Two GS412's. Mark Lappalainen from Hoobastank plays a DB750 a DB728, 2 GS410's and 2 GS115's. None of these guys may be death metal, but they defintely are of the modern rockin genre. I think Aguilar has worked nicely for me and it probably can for you too. It just depends on what sound you're going for.

My 2 Cents.

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Sound? lol... that's not what I've noticed about the metal shows I've been too. EVERYONE plays a fridge and a 4Pro. Does it sound as good as an Aggie setup? Keep dreamin! Metal's more about access sometimes. I think the Mesa Triple Rect. kinda personifies that for gee-tar. Soon my guitar player will have one... and I'll have to mic my drums and boost the low end on my EQ. 2 things I dont feel like doin. Our practices are becoming louder than gigs :scowl: :rolleyes: