Advice on a good bass for about $250

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bently, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Bently

Bently Guest

Jul 3, 2005
    Saltillo, Mississippi
    I have seen that there is usually a good response to these types of questions, so i thought I would give it a try.

I'm getting about $250 back for my tax refund. I have like no extra cash right now. I was wondering if any of you had some suggestions for a good all around bass in this price range. I was kind of leaning toward an OLP, but I also love the P-bass sound. Is it possible to get a P-bass sound out of an OLP. I have heard that they are pretty versitile. I have never sat down with one and tried it though. I also only want a 4 string.

I would greatly appreciate any opinions or suggestions any of you have. You don't have to limit your responses to P-basses or OLPs. I'm very open to anything you have to say.
  2. If I only had $250, right now, I'd probably get an OLP. Never played one, but I want to. I know a local guy selling his blue one for $100. I just don't have it right now.
  3. tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    maybe get an SX then put some new pickups in to start....then when you get more money get a new bridge and all that other good stuff

Or you can get a really nice Avatar cabinet for a really low price.
  4. look into the used market and try to get a ibanez sr400, its a jp pickup configeration and its a four string. should run you about that used

5. Bently

Bently Guest

Jul 3, 2005
    Saltillo, Mississippi
    Thanks, I'll check into those.
  6. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i have both an ibanez sr400 and a blue olp mm2

i'm selling both of them :)

if interested, PM me.
  7. IMHO ther are no decent new basses in this price range and very few used. Save your money and buy a good bass it'll be worth the wait.
  8. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I have an OLP MM2 and to be honest, it gives me what I need. At church, I run it through a Limiter Enhancer and then into the system, and it is quite satisfying. It definitely excels in the mids, but still has good bass presence.
  9. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I'm selling a GSR200 if you're interested. $100.
  10. Bently

Bently Guest

Jul 3, 2005
    Saltillo, Mississippi
    Thanks for all your help. I found a Conklin 4 string at my local music shop. It's a bit more expensive, $400, and it's used. Does anyone have any opinion on Conklin basses?
  11. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    You may be able to get a Pbass sound out of an OLP wiring it in series.

Also, for the money you coudl also probably buy a SX, and throw in a MM pup if you'd want...

or go with an Ibanez or teh OLP; I just havn't played any OLPs yet.
  12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Used Japanese Ibanez Roadstars.
  13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    You *might* find a good used MIM Fender P bass for that kind of $$$ - just play it first... If it plays nice, and sounds good, go for it...

- georgestrings
  14. Bently

Bently Guest

Jul 3, 2005
    Saltillo, Mississippi
    I went up to the local music store yesterday and they did have a fender P-bass for about 300 I think. Couldn't stay long, just dropped by on my way to pick up some stuff. I'll go back and see about it tomorrow. Hopefully that Conklin and the fender P-bass will still be there. It looks like I may have some more to spend on it soon. The reason I need it is becasue I am trying out for a college country band, I need the scholarship, and I need some better equipment. I got the head and cab covered, Hartke 3500 and a Behringer 410, but my bass could stand to be alot better. Right now I'm playing an old Bently bass.
  15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Try to find a good used Peavey bass. Or they might even has one that sells used in that range these days. The peavey basses always have a solid sound, even at the lowest price points. If you shop used you might find an old foundation or accellerator ... which are both very nice basses. It'll take some looking though.

Here's a great looking option from our very own classifieds:

just missed these:
  16. I just played a new bass at Low Down Sound in Detroit... I believe the brand is Ashland (I could be wrong, but email the LDS guys). It was a passive Jazz Bass and selling price is around $250. I was very impressed at the quality and sound... as good as any newer Fender I've played.... better than most... and $250!!!! I don't know if they make a PBass version, but I was amazed at the quality for the price.
  17. Ibanez, 100% all the way. Ibanez's lower end basses pack tremendous quality and give off a killer tone! Awesome bang for the limited buck, just killer!

However, if you're a Fender guy, I'd highly reccomend SX, I've never heard a complaint that is something serious (ie. p'ups suck, neck is bowed, frets are jagged, etc etc)